Pistols in Crossville

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
Someone mentioned the possibility of pursuing pigs with pistols at night while we are down in Crossville. This notion intrigues me, to say the least. I have a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag. I will admit I have never killed a big game animal with it, but I would very much like too. I'm thinking of using a Winchester loaded 240 gr. Platinum Tip... I'd like to hear from those of you bringing pistols and what load you will be using... and any opinions on my choice of weapon and load. Thanks in advance.

I may bring a pistol or two to Crossville. More just to plink with than anything else... I'll probably bring my 686 .357Mag and my 626 Classic .44Mag.. I'm thinking I'll just load up some 180gr Partitions for the .357 and some 300gr XTPs for the .44. Of COURSE I'm going to use VV N-110 in those TOO! :D

Grouse:

How do you like it, whatcha shooting, and what sights do you have on it?
I heard of a few having problems with fired cases sticking in the cylinder.

Blue-Dot-37.5

IndianaHunter said:
VENISONEATR said:
Chuck/Tom do you think the 240 gr. Platinum tip will be alright on a hog?

Inside 40 yards it should be just fine.

I agree! That should be an EXCELLENT bullet for the .41 Mag! TYPICAL weight for the .41 Rem Mag is 210gr. That 240gr Platinum Tip sounds like the PERFECT bullet for whitetail/boar! Are you really 'gonna pop one with it? 8)

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Grouse:

How do you like it, whatcha shooting, and what sights do you have on it?
I heard of a few having problems with fired cases sticking in the cylinder.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I really dont no yet. I'll have Chuck and Pat look at it in Crossville. I got a great deal on it. :)

VENISONEATR said:
I'd like to hear from those of you bringing pistols and what load you will be using... and any opinions on my choice of weapon and load. Thanks in advance.

I'll have my .480 Ruger holstered whenever I head to the woods. If a good shot presents itself I?ll use it. My intended load will be the Hornady 325gr XTP. I do have some brass I?d like to get re-loaded with a Beartooth LBT?s

[/quote]

I really dont no yet. I'll have Chuck and Pat look at it in Crossville. I got a great deal on it. :)[/quote]

Have you shot it yet?

A lil more than my 9 HP. Always wanted a 45 ACP so recently got this one. With the Hornady 230 grain HP/XTP it should serve as a better back-up on Hogs...in close of course. I had a Super Red 44 Mag but just wasnt much fun to shoot especially in the cold weather. :lol:

cz97.jpg

The real thing..picked-up Yesterday. Nice. :D Cant wait to get out and shoot some of those 230 grain Hornady JHP/XTPs!

Please dont tell Mehlig Loggy got a 45 Caliber!! :lol:

DSCF0269.jpg

VENISONEATR said:
BoarKiller said:
i wanna see that......
:roll:

I have decided to use a 265 gr. LWN-GC 1350 fps
1072 ft. lbs Buffalo Bore bullet in my .41 Rem. Magnum
Ruger.

Trust me.. The Platinum Tip would do the job.. I've waxed 'em with Sierra 240gr Power Jackets and so has my Bro from .44 Mags...no problems and blew right thru 'em! Not really THAT much difference between than and your .41 Mag load probably..

I'm bringing both and some CorBon bullets as well. I plan on limiting the shot to 25 yds. (open sights). I have no worries about any of the loads. I just like the BB 265 grainers :lol:

How do you like the CorBons?? I've heard nothing but good about 'em. I need to find a good load for my 44 mag Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Latest posts

Back