Pitted Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainman4820

Reaction score
Hello all: sorry to be redundant as I see a similar thread has recently been started on this but I am in search of some more detailed info. I recently purchased a rifle that has what appears to be some pretty severe pitting. Doesn't appear deep but it is from end to end. It also may have some lead fouling or other crap buildup. I see where previous posters noted that JB Bore Cleaner may help but would you suggest I give the barrel a thorough cleaning before using JB, or is JB cleaning enough? Note that I am not familiar with JB but plan to do more research before I try it out. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
Rain

I would clean the barrel with a strong solvent. When you get it as clean as possible, take it out and shoot it. A pitted barrel is not the end of the world, nor does it mean the rifle is ruined. If after shooting it and your still not happy with it...

Clean the rifle as good as possible. Then oil the barrel. With the oil still in the barrel use JB Bore Polish. Do about 100 strokes. Then clean the barrel again and go shoot it. You will never remove the pitting but that does not mean the rifle will not shoot. I was given a rifle by a person because he "ruined it by not cleaning it." It was indeed a pitted mess. I used JB Bore cleaner on it. I never have gotten a clean white patch out of it. They always come out gray. But after I oil it, there is no sign of further rusting.

That rifle (its a traditional rifle) with 70 grains and a round ball, peep sights, I once shot a penny size two shot group at 42 yards with it off a bench rest. That means its a deer killer. It consistently shoots excellent groups with 70 grains of 2f black powder and a patched ball. I use that as my loner rifle because who ever it is loaned to really can't hurt it more then it is.

Thank you Cayuga, I am relatively new to muzzleloading and appreciate your comments. I will give it a shot so to speak and will keep the group posted on progress.

Update....your advice did the trick. Recd the JB today and started scrubbing. I went from a bore that looked like the surface of the moon to a pretty nice tube that actually has some rifling!
Thanks again

Down the road if you feel your getting a lead build up, plastic, copper, what ever.. don't be afraid to use that JB Bore Paste again. I will not wear your barrel out. Glad it worked for you.

Guys. I know this is an older post. But I had to reply and thank you all for the tips. My .50 cal hawken barrel was a mess. To the point of beating bullets down the barrel. After a few Jb bore paste treatments, It's back in business. I'll be hunting with it next month. Thanks again. Dcl

Back