Playing with the Flinchlock today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Did some shooting today with the Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal flinter. Nice and cold at 30 some odd degrees, no wind. Just a nice overall day to go do some shooting. My hands about froze stiff with the wet lube, but it was worth it. I did all kinds of **** trying to see what slows down my flinter. I figured that it does not like a full pan of 4fg goex nor does it like light seating pressure. If I seat the ball heavy with my upper body weight leaned into the ramrod, pick the vent and apply 2 small heaps of 2fg side by side and settle it, it goes off like you are snapping your fingers.

Even while testing different stuff, it still grouped nice and tight, I actually only had one that could be considered a flier and the other 3 shots were touching. If I could do that off hand, It would be even better :mrgreen:

I used 70gr 2fg Old Eynsford black powder, .020" patches, Buckskinners blend patch lube, .490 round balls and 4fg Goex pan powder, French Amber Flint.

Just some pics of my gear and the funny ones! They call them Flinchlocks for a good reason when you are playing around, learning more about your rifle!
flintch1.png

Flintch4.png

Flintch3.png

flintch2.png

IMG_8232.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

Left side group with the flyer was me messing around with pan charge amount, etc. Still a damn great group for jacking around and having my eyes closed due to the delay lol. Right hand group is normal shooting.
IMG_8248.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

Yep....you'll get even better results if you can keep your eyes open and follow through.....never the less, great shooting.......inhaling all that first hand smoke is worse than heroin.....or so I've been told. :lol:

Give that photographer a raise he caught some great shots. Must be nice to just go out back and go shooting. Hell Id never get anything done if I had that. Al

Judging by your pan photo, Old-E has some fine/small granules for-it being FF.

Are you wearing a baseball cap under that fur hat? That's a sin! I'll bet you're wearing Air Jordans too..lol ;)

nope, that fur hat has a sunshade as they did back in the old'n days.

Pan powder is 4fg Goex, but I do plan on trying 2fg OE!

10" 400 gram Irish Setter boots. Those babies keep your tootsies toasty!

Just concentrate on your front sight only and soon you won't even notice the flash of the priming.
 I use the same 3f powder for my flint guns as I do the main charge and it works fine. A 1/2 a pan gives the quickest ignition in both my trade gun and belt pistol. Also I have found that taking a 1/16" drill bit and a hand drill ( NOT powered!) and opening up the touch hole makes for fast, reliable ignition. Almost as fast as my caplocks.

Latest posts

Back