Polish the pan?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalforge1

Reaction score
I saw a video where the fellow was polishing the pan on his flintlock for a faster ignition. I am new to flintlocks but I never heard this before. Can some of you more experienced flintlock shooters address this? Is it worthwhile to do this?

I have and use a flintlock extensively. The pans often have cast "wrinkles" in them.  Kind of like a ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ surface that is hardly visible or detectable on the surface. A few things happen.  Micro-particles of unburned flash powder build up in the crevices. Moisture hides in these crevices. The "fire" upon ignition has to go through this little obstacle course to get into the flash hole. Having a mirror smooth pan makes it easier to wipe clean - removing both particles and moisture. It also lets the fire (and heat) travel smoother and faster across and throughout the pan, although this is mico-seconds that are hardly detectable. 

I have smoothed the pan on my action with polishing compound and a pencil eraser, followed by a tight cotton stub on a Dremel at low speed. It made it shiny and easier to wipe clean. I can't tell any increase in ignition performance.

Some people swear this act is a total necessity.  Others use the factory pan without issues for the life of the rifle. Nearly any time a lock gets "tuned" professionally a pan polishing is part of the procedure. If you can do it yourself inexpensively and easily it can't hurt anything.  I am not sure I would pay for someone else to do this as a stand-alone task. Again, I personally did not see any "faster ignition" as you put it.  There are other perks to a polished pan as stated but the speed of ignition is negligible if detectable at all IMO.

The polishing of the pan does make it easier to wipe it out and keep it clean....as for faster ignition it is not the flame of the prime going off but the radiant heat wave that precedes the flame that sets the charge off....this is measured in Nano seconds....I have shot flintlocks for over 40 years and find no noticeable difference....

Hilljack

Thank you.  Looks like it's worthwhile but for different reasons than I expected.

Hi I read this thread and then took a close look at my pan, it was indeed all ^^^^^^^^.

So I took the dremel tool and spent a bit of time polishing that sucker up. It came out great, almost a mirror finish!

Now I don’t think it affected ignition much by by the Gods it makes wiping the pan out much easier now.

An interesting thread and many thanks for the idea!

I did it to make cleaning easier. I always thought that was the only reason it was done. Maybe not.

I have shot flinters for nearly 50 years. I believe polishing would only make the pan easier to clean but have no effect on ignition.

Back