polishing brass ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Rat

Reaction score
Some of the brass on my ml has some slight scratches and is kind of dull looking. What would you guys use to polish it up and remove the scratches ?

Brasso does good. I age my brass and make it look old and dirty. HATE brass.

Yeah, dull and blackened looks better than shiny. Plus, the game don't see it.

How do you age your brass ? Can you post a pic so I can see how it looks ?

Birchwood Casey brass black is some fun stuff!
IMG_8523.jpg

That looks great. I bought some of that brass black for a Lyman trade rifle but have not used it yet, is that more than one coat? Can you control how dark it gets?

Yes you can control how dark it gets by buffing lightly with 0000 steel wool. I think that was 3 coats? You wash it between every coat so it "sticks" better. Lightly oil or wax for more protection once you get the color you want. It does rub off over time, but thats whats awesome. It wears off naturally in all the heavy traffic areas that get handled the most while the rest stays put and looks naturally aged.

When you clean or have just shot your muzzleloader pickup the spent patch. Spit on it and rub on your brass for a nice aged look, works everytime and its cheap (how much is spit worth?).

Latest posts

Back