Posting here.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
As not to confuse new shooters, or shooters that may not understand, I'm posting load/target information here and not in the inline forum.

NOTE: THESE CHARGES INDICATED ARE NOT FOR PRODUCTION RIFLES. THE RIFLE THIS CHARGE IS BEING SHOT FROM IS DESIGNED FOR THESE EXTREME CHARGES AND PRESSURES. DO NOT...…. USE OR COPY THIS INFORMATION TO USE IN PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS! READ AND FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL AND ALL SAFETY RELATED CONCERNS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC RIFLE.

I have been shooting and testing the UF BP Xpress with the ASG breech plug and BH, along with the Fury 325gr Star Tip bullets (w/o sabots), attempting to find a charge that my specific rifle barrel will give tight groups. I initially started at 120grs volume and group sizes were very poor, like pie plate poor. I steadily increased the charge, sending 3 or 4 bullets, no more, over a few days at a time with the increased charges. As I increased the charge, the groups started tightening up.

Note: According to Western (Ramshot) own testing, both the RUM and UF rifles are very capable of safely handling charges of 160grs VOLUME. THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH ANY OTHER RIFLE/S THAN THE RUM OR UF RIFLES.

In a session two days ago, I had shrunk the group down to 1.5" at 100yds. After some a phone conversation, I started increasing the charge by 3grs and another loading at just 2grs. I sent 4 rounds, including a fouler, this morning to test the 3gr increase. I now have an acceptable group size to start shooting and tweaking at longer range.

********Again, this IS NOT production rifle compatible information!*****

This morning's charge was 147grs volume of BH209, Fury 325gr Star Tip, sized at +1.

9-10-18a.jpg

9-10-18b.jpg

Wow! Imagine the energy that bullet hits at! Impressive. Curious to see what speeds your hitting.

I understand that the club needs the income, but darn, it doesn't give many days for members :roll:
Truck is loaded with equipment and targets for tomorrow.

Range Rentals September
All Ranges September 10th-11th (Monday-Tuesday)

All Ranges Sept. 13th (Thursday)

All Ranges Sept. 17th, 18th, 19th (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday)

All Ranges Sept 20th (Thursday)

100yd and 600yd Sept. 24th (Monday)

100yd, 600yd, Shoothouse Sept 25th (Tuesday)

100yd, 600yd, Muzzleloader Sept 26th (Wednesday)

100yd, 600yd, Shoothouse Sept. 27th (Thursday)

NOTE: NOT FOR PRODUCTION RIFLE USE.

Took advantage of a day the range wasn't rented, even though the cops were banging away on the 100yd range.
Started right out at 200yds with the Fury 325gr star tips, loaded atop 103grsW of BH209. First shot a fouler, then on to see if they'd group with that charge. Its quite evident that 103grsW wasn't the sweet charge at 200 I thought it might be. With another new target, I increased the charge by 2 grains. I think I found the sweet spot at 105grsW.
Last up was to determine the dope for 300yds. I dialed and it wasn't enough, so dialed again. Second round was dead in the bull, with the third very close for my lack of shooting all these months.
These Fury star tips are going to put the hammer of Thor on what ever game they're shot with.
300yds requires 10MOA with this charge.
Black target is the 300yd, others are the 200yd targets.

103grsW at 200yds
9-12-18a.jpg

105grsW at 200yds

9-12-18b.jpg

After determining that it will take 10MOA at 300yds, working backwards with the ballistics program, the MV should be close to 2250fps with a 105grW charge.

9-12-18c.jpg

Definitely gonna shoot and no sabots to deal with.

Win !!Win!!

And will flatten Mr Whitetail or moose if needled

bestill said:
Definitely gonna shoot and no sabots to deal with.

Win !!Win!!

And will flatten Mr Whitetail or moose if needled

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Its starting to come together :yeah:

Back