Powder Scales

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you guys use digital or balance scales and which ones do you recommend? I want to begin to weigh my blackpowder as compared to volume measuring it. With the BM3 I use, tapping the vial packs the powder considerably and I really don't know how much I am really shooting. A scale should be able to tell me this accurately. Also, is there a guide produced to convert the measurements? X grains by volume = ? grains by weight?

Happy Holidays!

Darrell

Conversion for grams/grains is grams times 15.432 = weight in grains. If your asking what is the conversion for 100 gr equivalent Triple 7 FFg volume to weight, believe it is between 76.5 to 78 dependant on who you ask or which volume measurer you use. I use a Dillon Eliminator beam scale, but many others on here use digital.

I've been using an RCBS balance beam scale for over 25 yrs. Been very user friendly. Everytime I see a decent digital scale go on sale it has me thinking but thats as far as it goes.

The best way to convert from volume to weight is to make several volume measurements of the powder you are selecting and average the weight of the volume measurements to determine what weight you are going to use. Trying to use a conversion table or numbers that someone told you is just looking for trouble. Make a lot of volume measurements and check the weight often. As far as scales I use several but I am a reloader and have a lot of them. Most simple balance beam scales work just fine and are the least expensive. All the powders are intended to be used with volume measures. Weighing is good but be careful. Grains weight is not the same as volume grains. The volume grain weight was determined from black powder not the synthetics.

Digital or Beam? Depends on how much you're going to do. For most a beam is the best way to go and least expensive. If you into hand loading and going to mass produce amunition the digital should be your choice. There has been a lot of discussion here in the past on this subject, particularly accuracy and the conclusion, if I remember correctly, was the digital is just about as accurate. I also feel that they're consistent which is just as important. Sound like for your needs the beam should be the right choice.

Latest posts

Back