Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.5" at 400 yards is great for any rifle. The only way I was able to get any consistency with the 777, was to totally take the rifle down, clean out the barrel, wipe it with bore butter, wipe the excess out, put it back together, shoot 3 primers through it, load it shoot, and do it all over again. As it was a bolt gun, it was a genuine pain. If I tried to get a second shot without cleaning, it might be beside the fist hole, or it might be 3" away. I went nuts. I think I bought 10 different kinds of sabots. And get this, I ended up using a MMP sabot, but had to cut 5/16" off each petal. Yeah, i was trying all kinds of stuff. It worked, but was such a pain in the rear end, it took all the funout of it, and turned it into a job.

[QUOTE="ENCORE50A,I shoot thousands of rounds through my BP Xpress and go through many cases of T7 yearly with charges of 180grs. [/QUOTE]

You are shooting 180grs of 777? The heavier I went past 100, the worse my groups got, but, I never used anything heavier than a 250 gr bullet.

[QUOTE="ENCORE50A,I shoot thousands of rounds through my BP Xpress and go through many cases of T7 yearly with charges of 180grs.

You are shooting 180grs of 777? The heavier I went past 100, the worse my groups got, but, I never used anything heavier than a 250 gr bullet.[/QUOTE]

You DO NOT have a rifle capable of shooting 180grs of T7. DO NOT TRY IT! READ AND FOLLOW YOUR RIFLES OWNER'S MANUAL ONLY!

That charge is only capable in an Ultimate Firearms Inc rifle, or a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM) or some custom built rifles.

I do not and many others won't use bore butter, which only makes things worse.

I started out mzing using bore butter. Liquid in the summer,like a brick in the winter. Not necessary to use the stuff. Once I got away from it my shooting accuracy got a lot better.

I use a funnel and pour boiling water through my bore after shooting T7 and Black MZ. It usually takes two patches; one to dry the bore and one to ease my mind that it really is clean!

I started out mzing using bore butter. Liquid in the summer,like a brick in the winter. Not necessary to use the stuff. Once I got away from it my shooting accuracy got a lot better.

Funny that. I was talking I a guy the end of last fall that was completely new to muzzleloading. Pretty sure he went to a box store, asked how to shoot a muzzleloader and walked out having spent way too much money. He couldn't get anything better than about 2" at 100 yards. There was a few things that he was doing that maybe weren't ideal, but more than anything was the high amounts of bore butter. Told him to thoroughly clean the barrel with boiling water to get all the wax residue out then throw the bore butter away and start over. About a week later I got a picture of a target he just shot that was under an inch. He said the only difference was no bore butter.

Encore50, I don't see any advantage to using anything over 100 gr. I have shot up to the approved 150 gr, in my rifles, and never had anything thing except a bruised shoulder from it. I was surprised when I saw 180gr on your post, because I have never heard of any ML approved of anything past 150 gr. Believe me, you don't have to preach to me.

I have used bore butter in the past, to put a light coating in my barrel, then, I would swab it to remove any excess, only leaving a very thin coating. At the time, with the process I was using, it did improve my grouping. I don't use it today, and have no intention of using it. Back whn I was using it, I was using the inferior 777, that gave me fits. Since moving to BH209, my problems ended. I will also say, that a normal winter day here, very seldom reaches the 30's. Yes, we do have freezing days, but they are few and far between. When I was using the bore butter, I never had any problem with it getting hard in low temperatures.

Where is NELP?

Encore50, I don't see any advantage to using anything over 100 gr. I have shot up to the approved 150 gr, in my rifles, and never had anything thing except a bruised shoulder from it. I was surprised when I saw 180gr on your post, because I have never heard of any ML approved of anything past 150 gr. .........….
Where is NELP?

These are not common production rifles.

Here's the original: http://ultimatefirearms.com/ Its capable of up to 200grs of BP. Been produced for maybe 15 years now.

Here's its little brother: https://www.remington.com/rifles/muzzle-loading/model-700-ultimate/model-700-ultimate-muzzleloader Its also capable of up to 200grs of BP

EDIT: Both these rifles are capable of 160grs volume, 112grs by weight of BH209.

At 67 years young, I have no problem sending full charges along with a 300gr bullet, all day long. I do use a PAST recoil shoulder pad and the rifle is heavy in itself, 12.5# w/scope.

The photo below is an Ultimate Muzzleloader Inc., BP Xpress .50cal rifle and capable of up to 200grs.

IMG_1327.JPG

NELP..…………. North East Lower Peninsula.... Michigan

Last edited:
I'm 61, and if I had a PAST recoil pad, I would be good with that. My mom is from Eastern Penn (Tarentum) , and spent her summers on a farm in Michigan. Dad was from Morgantown.

I have no problems cleaning 777 , probably because of the swabbing between shots, no real build up and I drop my breach plug in a container it #13 bore cleaner , comes out spotless, it always seems to be a pain to get my plugs clean with black horn

I have no problems cleaning 777 , probably because of the swabbing between shots, no real build up and I drop my breach plug in a container it #13 bore cleaner , comes out spotless, it always seems to be a pain to get my plugs clean with black horn

I have not had a real issue with the plugs, since I moved from Win 209 to CCI209M primers. I clean the flash tunnel with a small drill bit and the flash hole, with a small cleaner made for it, from CVA. my fingers are used. Are you using the plugs for Black Horn, or the standard plugs?

Knight bare primer plugs, I don’t shoot much black horn anymore, just to expensive and I have to drive an hour and a half to buy it. buying powder in New Jersey has become a real pain in the but the last few years and I am not sure why

Knight bare primer plugs, I don’t shoot much black horn anymore, just to expensive and I have to drive an hour and a half to buy it. buying powder in New Jersey has become a real pain in the but the last few years and I am not sure why

It is because of the Looney-Tunes anti gun crowd

Knight bare primer plugs, I don’t shoot much black horn anymore, just to expensive

Yeah, it is expensive, and you have to order it here. So, when I order, I order it in the 5 lb jug. You end up saving about $100.

I have been using 777 for years and have no problems cleaning. I first take barrel off my White, then pour boiling water from tea pot down the bore. Follower with a clean patches and last with patch with a small amount of Breakfree oil. All the other parts I clean with Brillo an Awesome Orange. All my Whites except one are stainless and look almost new after years of use.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back