Power belt test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
There's a lot of bad mojo about the powerbelts. I looked in Ron's bullet tests and I don't see they have ever been tested. I don't have any but could someone send some to Ron for testing. If that's OK with you Ron????

There are a few different types, styles, of powerbelts. Could we test them all.

It doesn’t do much good to describe performance of a brand of bullet without identifying the model that’s being described. A Powerbelt ELR, for example, is a different bullet than a Platinum. To imply ALL Powerbelt bullets are no good is not credible.
In this thread there are credible accounts of ELR’s working great on paper, but not so good on deer at some ranges. And on other sites you can read of excellent performance on game.
Your experience certainly may be different from mine, or anybody else’s, but that’s no reason to say the whole company line is no good.

I think most of the bad rap that PBs have gotten is due to people shoving them long with the max charge in pellets or powder. The "magnum" labeled guns and pellets for many newer, less experienced shooters gives them an out to taking the easy street and maxing out the charges just because they can, then when a shot is taken at a little closer range the bullets gernade before reasonable penetration has occurred. In reality that can happen with any of the lead cored, jacketed pistol bullets commonly used in muzzies [experience speaking here] when shot with a maximum load. I think about 99% of the power belt issues would go away if the "Magnum" were dropped from advertising and printing on gun barrels and the pellets went away so people would have to learn to tailor loads to the gun.

I've never, ever had an accuracy issue with a power belt bullet, but the cost is what sunk that ship for me. I never took a deer with a power belt but did hunt one season years ago with them.

Last edited:
It cant all be blamed on the consumer when BPI listed "mag" charges for PBs that simply would not hold upto them. Posting 150gr loads with a tiny for caliber 245gr PB is just nuts. BPI in their infinite wisdom even dropped the 45cal 300gr PB Plat. Its no longer listed on their website. One of the few PBs that performs ok with a moderate charge. They were crazy accurate too in the older 45cal 1-28s.

Very over priced though from a performance stand point. You can take the 50cent (or less) 45cal Gould HP and get better performance. That would be about Bullshops price for 100 of them sized/lubed and shipped to you. My Knight DISC shoots them great with mildish loads and its still more energy at 100yards than a 44mag has at the muzzle.

I think most of the bad rap that PBs have gotten is due to people shoving them long with the max charge in pellets or powder. The "magnum" labeled guns and pellets for many newer, less experienced shooters gives them an out to taking the easy street and maxing out the charges just because they can, then when a shot is taken at a little closer range the bullets gernade before reasonable penetration has occurred. In reality that can happen with any of the lead cored, jacketed pistol bullets commonly used in muzzies [experience speaking here] when shot with a maximum load. I think about 99% of the power belt issues would go away if the "Magnum" were dropped from advertising and printing on gun barrels and the pellets went away so people would have to learn to tailor loads to the gun.

I've never, ever had an accuracy issue with a power belt bullet, but the cost is what sunk that ship for me. I never took a deer with a power belt but did hunt one season years ago with them.
Thanks Mr Tom. Saved me writing it out.

That brings up another question.
Why in the heck does one want to shove anything down their barrel with 150 grains of powder in 50cal?

My faeton 62 cal is 180grains max.

That is close to a full charge on my faeton.

Just scratching my head.

I shot a calf elk once that was previously shot in the hips by a farmer in Combine. The farmer jumped out of his equipment shot at the elk and it ran off. I saw that happen. I ended up finding the. Calf and it took off running. I shot it with my paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet, that yanked the rug.
When I butchered the elk the bullet from the farmer was in the hips. The hip was not broken. The hollow point was smashed against the bone the wound would have been survivable. I can't recommend them for hunting bullets.

Attachments

• 20201225_100535.jpg
    20201225_100535.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 17
Ive never hunted elk or elk sized game, i don't expect to ever hunt them. But if i did i wouldn't use a PB. That one looks like it performed ok as far as not fragmenting and some mushrooming tho. The farmers shot placement probably caused by his excitement?

That power belt looks great to me. Bad shot placement i would guess.

That bullet failed to penetrate 4" of meat or less and break a bone. That bullet was a solid failure on a small elk.

qd27dBA.jpg

This bullet is a 458 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet out of my TC 50 cal Renegade. This bullet broke the shoulder broke the spine and was found in the shoulder on the opposite side. It weighed 454 grains and the elk was found in his tracks.

V71Mr4N.jpg

9a42XIw.jpg

M7e6pXD.jpg

That bullet failed to penetrate 4" of meat or less and break a bone. That bullet was a solid failure on a small elk.

qd27dBA.jpg

This bullet is a 458 gr Lee 500 S&W bullet out of my TC 50 cal Renegade. This bullet broke the shoulder broke the spine and was found in the shoulder on the opposite side. It weighed 454 grains and the elk was found in his tracks.

V71Mr4N.jpg

9a42XIw.jpg

M7e6pXD.jpg
You are still clueless of what you are talking about.

1. Bad shot placement.
2. Great looking conical. Did exactly what it was supposed to do.
3. Then show me a picture of a much heavier conical and it looks the same as a PB. And claim it is a better conical because you killed an elk.

Wake up. You must choose the conical for the animal you are hunting. Are you going to use a 45cal ball on an elk? Then claim a 45 cal ball aint worth crap because of a poorly made shot? Then show a picture of a dead elk that you shot with a 62 cal ball and a better made shot?

Sorry my friend. That PB did fantastic. It looks pretty much like your 400 plus grain conical. You were lucky you didnt have a bad shot with your heavier conical, you would be scratching your head.

My friend has taken 2 elk with PB. No problem.

Shot placement is important. Brutal strength replacing good shot placement is something a hunter chooses.

There is a huge reason why most states have a min cal to hunt deer and elk.

You are still clueless of what you are talking about.

1. Bad shot placement.
2. Great looking conical. Did exactly what it was supposed to do.
3. Then show me a picture of a much heavier conical and it looks the same as a PB. And claim it is a better conical because you killed an elk.

Wake up. You must choose the conical for the animal you are hunting. Are you going to use a 45cal ball on an elk? Then claim a 45 cal ball aint worth crap because of a poorly made shot? Then show a picture of a dead elk that you shot with a 62 cal ball and a better made shot?

Sorry my friend. That PB did fantastic. It looks pretty much like your 400 plus grain conical. You were lucky you didnt have a bad shot with your heavier conical, you would be scratching your head.

My friend has taken 2 elk with PB. No problem.

Shot placement is important. Brutal strength replacing good shot placement is something a hunter chooses.

There is a huge reason why most states have a min cal to hunt deer and elk.

Please enlighten me. Had the farmer shot the shoulder what would the PB do?
It completely failed to penetrate 4" of meat or less and break a bone.
I'm basing tge pb ability to break bone on the fact it could not break a bone. That was a bullet failure. I'm sorry you think they are great but the fact is they are crap.

Last edited:
Back