Powerbelt bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hod

Reaction score
I am shooting 45. cal hollow point powerbelt bullets out of my Kodiak. I have been reading good and bad things about using them to hunt white tale deer. Some say the bullet falls about to fast. Any ideas about this? Also I've read that a test could be to fire into a 5 gal. pail of sand and see what the bullet does? With my muzzle loader being 45. I really don't want to fire a sabot out of it. It would be just that much smaller bullet.

Hod

My son shot a doe with his .45 and a powerbelt and the bullet blew up on contact without hardly any penetration, that was with 100gr 777 at about 30 yards. Some people say if you reduce your charge to 70-80gr they will penetrate better. In my Knight .45 I shoot 200 gr Hornaday SSTs. no problem with penetration (complete pass throughs) at 100 yards and a decent exit hole. I get great accuracy with Hornady XTP 180 gr and great penetration but the bullet fragments if it hits bone doing alot of meat damage. Bullet performance is what its all about and the Powerbelts are a poor choice.

i am not sure about the sand thing sounds like it would work. i have shot into a laundry hamper full of wet newspaper it worked great. when you recover the bullet you can pull up layer at a time of newspaper and see the exzact channel and expansion of the bullet. good luck!

I think a 275gr Powerbelt in .45 would be FINE for some of the closer shots. I wouldn't use a ligher Powerbelt in .45. If longer-range shooting is what you want go to a 200gr SST or 195gr Barnes Expander..

I have killed four deer with 225 powerbelts in .45 cal. out of a 209x45 Encore barrel. Only one deer had a pass through with that bullet. All deer died within 15-25 yds, but no blood trails except the pass though.

I didn't get the accuracy with the 275 powerbelts that I did with the 225 gr., sold that barrel and got the .50 barrel which I am still using at present.

If the White .504 keeps shooting like it is I probably will sell the .50 Encore barrel too and keep the frame for centerfire only.

I've seen my nephew shoot two deer with Powerbelts out of his .50. Neither bullet exited. One shot was a broadside doe at about 60 yards and the other was a big buck at about 65 shot quartering towards him. I didn't expect the buck to have an exit wound but I thought it would have sailed right through the doe. Neither had a good blood trail but both were recovered inside 100 yards. I prefer a bullet to give me an exit wound.

I shot my first in-line T/C ML deer with a powerbelt and that was enough for me. They need a thicker jacket on those bullets.

Chocdog

HOD ;

( IMO ) :think: It really dosen't matter if you are shooting a smaller bull. by useing a saboted bull. it is what damage it dose to the animal after it hits !

SABOTS I WOULD TRY - BARNES EXPANDER-MZ 195GR - HORNADY SST 200GR - TC SHOCKWAVE 200GR -

BUT IF YOU WANT TO STAY WITH THE LARGER BORE SIZED BULLETT
I WOULD PERSONALY STAY AWAY FROM THE POWERBELT .....
I WOULD RATHER SHOOT

THE - HORNADY GREAT PLAINS 285GR - TC MAXI BALL 240GR OR TC MAXI HUNTER 255GR
OR CALL BULLSHOP BULLET TO SEE WHAT THEY RECOM.
( WWW.BULLSHOP.GUNLOADS.COM ) GREAT PRICES !!!!! :yeah:

I WISH YOU LUCK
LUNGBUSTER1

Well Saturday I was able to do the 5 gal. pail test. I was about 75 yards away using Winchester triple se7en primer, 85 grains by volume of Hodgon Pyrodex RS and 225 gr. HP in 45. cal powerbelt. The bullet unfired weight was 228.7 grains with plastic skirt on. Then after fired it weight was 222.0. When you take the skirt weight off the unfired bullet the differents in weight before and after was only 2.5 grains. I did my best to get all of the sand off of the bullet before weighting them I also did the test on the 225 grain Aerotip copper bullet and the differents was only .1 grain. I have some pic of the bullets but am haveing trouble posting them any help would be great. In my opion these bullet would work great if they would use harder lead. They open up way to soon when they hit something. The hollow point bullet was not even half way through the pail of sand when I found it. The Aerotip bullet did a little better at just past half way. If they were just a little harder lead I think they would work better.

Hod

Whether you can compare flesh and bone to plastic and sand I could not say. As for the bullets, it sounds like they did what they were designed to do. The all lead hollow point will hit, enter (we hope) make it to the major organs, expanding as it tears through the boiler room. Granted it might not make a complete pass through, but if placed right, the deer should be dead. Any time you can disrupt the major organs as a bullet does, the animal will die. The problem is, it might not be on the spot. So tracking skills might be in order.

One problem with the no pass through is lots of times, the lack of a blood trail. While this can be a problem, if the bullet was placed right, the animal should not make it too far... we hope.

The Aero Tip should penetrate better. Also the expansion should not be as bad as the hollow point. Did you by chance take a caliper and measure the expansion of the bullets. That would also be interesting. The aero tip also has a much better chance of pass through which might make a better blood trail.

What I avoid is a bullet that fragments. I want the bullet to make it into the major organs, and do the damage, but not in just pieces. I think a bullet that does not fragment stands a much better chance of a pass through.

I've hunted two years with a 295 grain all lead hollow point Powerbelt. My intentions should the deer ever had cooperated was to slip that behind the shoulder missing the major bone structure but trying to angle it into the major organs. As is my luck the deer only seem to appear when I am hunting with roundball.

Wife used to shoot light powerboobs in her .45 USED TO being the key words. Those things came apart like a dead grasshopper when they hit a deer. They were pathetic.

Switched to Barnes, one of the smartest things I ever did.

elkstalkr said:
Wife used to shoot light powerboobs in her .45 USED TO being the key words. Those things came apart like a dead grasshopper when they hit a deer. They were pathetic.

Switched to Barnes, one of the smartest things I ever did.

Lol... I have the same experience with the light powerbelts.. If you MUST use them, go with the heaviest they offer in your caliber.

A barnes would be a much better choice.... Or a 200 SW

"came apart like a dead grasshopper" now there is one to file away for future use! :D

The 275 grain Aerotip Powerbelt in .45 is a pretty decent bullet. Shoots reasonably well from both my Encore and G2.

In my 209x45 Encore the light ones group very well at high speeds , 1' groups at 100 yards , but I can get the 200gr SST to group the same , so I go with that one . I have heard to many stories about the pb blowing up at close range . If you go with the PB use the heavies they will be going at a lower speed , try to keep them under 1800 fps .
Charlie

Underclocked said:
"came apart like a dead grasshopper"

UC..what would that graphic look like??? :idea:

:lol:

I will have to agree with ya, man...

I use a 50 cal and 245 grain PB w/ 100 grain 777

bullet passed through last deer I shot, deer droped in 5-7 yards.

I have shot better grouping bullets but I like the ease of reloading these vs sabots, and can live with the 1inch larger groups Im getting with the power belts.

i shot a 295 gr power belt hp into a dirt berm .
MVC-010F-2.jpg

I shoot 195 gr powerbelt aerotips w/150grs 3 777 pellets to date I have shot at 5 deer all1 shot kills the farthest 1 traveled after the hit was 30 yds. the closest shot was taken at 35 yds the farthest was 160 yards.
I have only ever recovered fragments of the coating but the bullets held together long enough to do massive internal damage

Hod said:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Uc=11dggrkn.93p75l3j&Uy=-4q8jb7&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=151261571686_360293796207

Try going to this website to look at the pic of the powerbelt after the sand shots. I hope this works.

Hod
WOW! I have never seen a powerbelt in one piece after being fired. I have shot several animals, all were clean kills, none had exits and I nevre found the bullet only fragments.
Frank

Latest posts

Back