practical smokeless loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokeless in any percussion or flintlock is a hand grenade with the pin pulled.!!! There is so much more energy released by smokeless powder that it can’t be controlled or held by cap or flint ignition
Not sure where cap or flintlock came into the topic? This is the SML section.

What's interesting to me is more than just consideration of human nature, I realize that curiosity and our thought processes lead us to ask these questions. Sometimes I think we are likea moth drawn to the flame. Established parameters sometimes just aren't enough,,and yes I have the same curiosity.
Stop by a little shop in a small town in Arkansas it has muzzleloaders and supplies the young man behind the counter learned that I was shooting smokeless guns he was over listening a conversation I was having with another customer started to tell me about the load that he had worked up in his black powder Muzzleloader shooting smokeless,,, of course I warned him went into a 30 minute spill, he had no idea what he was dealing with as I drove out of the parking lot headed to my place I had to admit I had to ask myself the same questions many times would my rifle do this with that?,,,, stop asking yourself those questions go outside and pick some flowers

I don't do are recommend this but I have a friend that shoots IMR 4198 with 250 grain bullet with a sabot in two different inline M/Z rifles with good success and says he will never use Black or subs again. I don't have the nerve to try it myself but he also says he knows a group of guys who all do it and have so far had no problems so it seems it can be done.

I don't do are recommend this but I have a friend that shoots IMR 4198 with 250 grain bullet with a sabot in two different inline M/Z rifles with good success and says he will never use Black or subs again. I don't have the nerve to try it myself but he also says he knows a group of guys who all do it and have so far had no problems so it seems it can be done.
…until it bites them in the @$$.

I know someone that does it too. Why risk it. It's just as easy to get a 45-70 conversion as a BP gun. Maybe alittle bit more money with the conversion but it's cheap insurance, piece of mind, and less "pucker" factor when pulling the trigger.

Latest posts

Back