Prairie Dogs...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaHunter

Reaction score
My wife and I went to Kansas over the weekend for the High School graduation of my niece. While there my wife's cousin Greg and I took in a little prairie dog hunting. We had several options on guns for the day but settled on a single shot .17 hrm with a fixed 10x scope. Not because it was the best choice but because it was the greatest challenge.

We shot from two locations that would give us shots from 125 yards and beyond. We hit the ground early and had only a light crosswind of less than 5 miles per hour. The first few dog's fell to body shots will little adjustment for the wind.

Unfortunately those conditions only lasted for a short while. In less time than you can imagine we had a steady 20 mph crosswind gusting up to 35. Needless to say the once easy 125 yard shots now became as difficult as any I've taken.

We had enough sand bags to give us a solid rest but unfortunately the wind could rock the truck. :lol: Greg and I were each able to pop one at 145 yards but it took a fair amount of coordination on spotter and shooter alike. The shooter was able to judge corrections by the bullet's impact around the mound while the spotter pointed out when the wind laid down using field grass to the west of the shooting area.

We had one dog at 230 yards just stand there and look at us as we both lobed shots at it. We hit all around it but never gave it a tumble.

However, given the conditions, we both agreed the kills at 145 yards were trophies given the conditions.

Any day shooting is a good day so I was happy to be out.

:wink:

Prairie dogs

Is anyone out there up to doing some prairie dog shooting with vintage weapons - muzzle loading or BPCR?

Wisent
classicballistx

Back