PRB effectiveness on big game?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago on Mount Evans we had a nice size Mountain Goat decide he needed to rub his horns on the front fender of my 1968 Collector Series Silver Anniversary Corvette, like having someone run a rasp across the fiberglass fender. 

ha0416-250676_1.jpg
Collectors Show - Colo. Sprgs. CO  1999​

Now THAT big boy is truly a monster, body AND antlers.

I started ML hunting in 1985 with a TC Renegade and Maxi-Ball. Did well, later switched to Lee Improved Minie for better accuracy.

After getting involved with some buckskinners started hunting with home cast 54 cal patched round balls in a left handed Leman replica. Developed some opinions, so here goes-

The PRB does not have the sectional density for anything but broadside or slightly angling in from the rear shots. Poor combination for shots angling in from the front, just doesn't have the power to break through a shoulder.

For me 100 yards is maximum range, and 75-80 yards is more responsible.

Many muleys and seven elk, all cows, traveled from 40-100 yards before expiring. All were dead by the time I got over the adrenaline, reloaded and walked to the game. These were shots placed behind the foreleg and a third of the way up from the belly line. Several balls were recovered under the hide on the far side.

My success improved when I started thinking and hunting like an archery hunter, but with twice the effective range. In other words, hunting from ambush.

CoHiCntry said:
I was referring to the rack.  They all have big bodies!  Even the cows are really big.  There's no "dragging" them out of the woods unless it's with some kind of machine like a 4-whlr or something, Lol!.  Quartered and packed out on your back is the method I'm most familiar with.  Although I have been able to gut and drag with a 4-whlr a few times over the years!
Know a Cow that was drug off a mountain in snow to a Pickup at the bottom.

oneshot

White Fox said:
I started ML hunting in 1985 with a TC Renegade and Maxi-Ball. Did well, later switched to Lee Improved Minie for better accuracy.

After getting involved with some buckskinners started hunting with home cast 54 cal patched round balls in a left handed Leman replica. Developed some opinions, so here goes-

The PRB does not have the sectional density for anything but broadside or slightly angling in from the rear shots. Poor combination for shots angling in from the front, just doesn't have the power to break through a shoulder.

For me 100 yards is maximum range, and 75-80 yards is more responsible.

Many muleys and seven elk, all cows, traveled from 40-100 yards before expiring. All were dead by the time I got over the adrenaline, reloaded and walked to the game. These were shots placed behind the foreleg and a third of the way up from the belly line. Several balls were recovered under the hide on the far side.

My success improved when I started thinking and hunting like an archery hunter, but with twice the effective range. In other words, hunting from ambush.
Like most bowhunters I go for the lungs.  Are lung shots still a safe PRB target on elk?... I would think so.

Yes lungs are always the way to go. I'm not a shoulder shot fan, even with big conical or even center fire. A huge waste of meat.

Hey Marty. Want youre head to spin a little more. In the great State of Colorado no cal 50 round balls for Elk. But you can use a 40lb bow to sling some sticks at one.

BigAl52 said:
Hey Marty. Want youre head to spin a little more. In the great State of Colorado no cal 50 round balls for Elk. But you can use a 40lb bow to sling some sticks at one.
Hey BigAl52.  Want your head to spin a little more.  Check out these numbers on sectional density :arrow:
SECTIONAL DENSITY =

bullet weight in grains/7000
Diameter X Diameter

SECTIONAL DENSITY---POWERBELT---ROUNDBALL
0.123________________175 g., .45cal.____________
0.138________________195 g., .45cal.____________
0.157________________223 g., .45cal.____________
0.159________________225 g., .45cal.____________
0.194________________275 g., .45cal.____________
0.212________________300 g., .45cal.____________
0.127________________223 g., .50cal.____________
0.140________________245 g., .50cal.____________
0.154________________270 g., .50cal.____________
0.169________________295 g., .50cal.____________
0.171________________300 g., .50cal.____________
0.193________________338 g., .50cal.____________
0.199________________348 g., .50cal.____________
0.231________________405 g., .50cal.____________
0.254________________444 g., .50cal.____________
0.145________________295 g., .54cal.____________
0.170________________348 g., .54cal.____________
0.198________________405 g., .54cal.____________
0.218________________444 g., .54cal.____________
0.090____________________________127 g., .45cal.
0.100____________________________175 g., .50cal.
0.113____________________________230 g., .54cal.

Section Density is purely the relationship between bullet weight and bullet diameter, and is independent of bullet shape. All else being equal, in theory the higher the Sectional Density value the greater the bullet penetration on game. (i.e., a 150 grain, .270 caliber bullet will provide better penetration than a 150 grain, .30 caliber bullet.)

Never underestimate the traditional bow.  My traditional wooden arrows weigh 540 grains.  Using my arrow shaft(11/32") diameter at 0.34375...
the Sectional Density of the arrow projectile is 0.653.

FrontierGander said:
I'll take a round ball all day long over 90% of those powerbelts.
Spoken like a true traditionalist.  Powerbelts* fall into my "everything else " category  :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* p.s. You might remember FG that SD table was copies from an older post of mine.  I only used it for the bullet weights, not the specific projectile.

I've never had penetration issues on deer using prb; even frontal shots dropped them DRT.  More often than not the prb went in one side and out the other; many of them just flattened out under the off side skin.  And unless one is concerned that the target species is going to attack, I see no need at all to shoot at the shoulder; too easy to just wound.

My muzzleloading hunting began in the 1960s with an H&A underhammer.  A flintlock Minuteman .45 soon joined the UH.  The UH took deer, bobcats and squirrel, paying its dues nicely.

... said:
Black bear at 45-yards had a small entry hole and a similar sized exit hole though lungs. It spun around, straightened out and made one stride before front-rolling to a stop. 248 pounds ...
Sounds like a complete pass-through the lungs on that bear.  That's what I like to hear.

Anyone else besides sparkitoff take a black bear with a PRB :?:

FrontierGander said:
I'll take a round ball all day long over 90% of those powerbelts.
I have heard several folks say this same thing, I personally have no experience with Power Belts, i have never fired one. One of my Good friends here Shot a Whitetail Doe this year (last year now) With his CVA Wolf using a Powerbelt of some kind? Broadside shot at 60-80 Yards, That bullet did not Exit? It Blew apart and was found in pieces. That would have been enough of them for me!

Marty said:
... said:
Black bear at 45-yards had a small entry hole and a similar sized exit hole though lungs. It spun around, straightened out and made one stride before front-rolling to a stop. 248 pounds ...
Sounds like a complete pass-through the lungs on that bear.  That's what I like to hear.

Anyone else besides sparkitoff take a black bear with a PRB :?:
Using patched round ball taking animals with black powder:
   (??) White Tail deer.
   (??) Mule deer.
   (8-10) Elk.
   (04) Black Bear.
   (12) Buffalo. (for myself and others that couldn't keep them on the ground)
   (01) Rocky Mountain Sheep. (One-In-A-Life Time permit)
   (??) Small game.

We lived on wild game, raised cows they were sold not eaten, didn't know you could ate a cow when little on the farm.

I got so wrapped-up in ballistics I missed   :oops: your earlier mention in this post on your bear harvests 'Connor.  You have quite the PRB list there Buck'  :bow:

Buck', the sheep you posted with the .62 smoothbore is yours ??

Marty said:
Buck', the sheep you posted with the .62 smoothbore is yours ??
I’m not sure if that’s Buck or not but that’s no sheep!  Lol!  It’s a mountain goat.

Back