Pre-season prep work 2011

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Over the past few weeks I started repairing and upgrading my gear in preparation for the 2011 hunting seasons. The list of work includes minor things like selling some old gear I wasn't using and buying some new gear to replace some old stiff etc.

Two big things on my list was to upgrade the scope on my x-bow and continue to improve/upgrade the scopes/guns/optics I have in my collection.

With some time yesterday, and the good weather today I was able to get a good start on a bunch of the items on my list.

I had previously replaced a few weeks back the factory ten-point scope on my x-bow with a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 illuminated scope. I took the bow out today and was happily able to get the bow sighted back in with no problem. While the old scope was nice in that it had ballistics marks for 20-30-40yd shots that scope was simply horrendous in low light. I will gladly give up the reticle feature on the old scope for the greater light transmission of the 30mm Elite 4200.

Another project I had been working on was helping Mel to get her whitetail rifle and her Savage 10ML muzzleloader out to get cerakoted. Both guns are very accurate and generally just great guns. Accordingly, I plan on having them for a long time so weatherproofing is a must for ease of care. Yesterday, after a bunch of wrangling and final decision making I got them both sent off.

The guns went out to Karl Kampfeld for his handiwork. http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ For the first gun, the Savage 10ml I purchased a new steel trigger and steel scope bases to replace the plastic trigger guard and aluminum bases that came on the gun when I bought it used a few years back. That gun will have the barreled action coated matte black with the bolt body and trigger guard finished in titanium grey. When the metal comes back it will go back in the B&C stock it was previously in that is forest green with black spider webs.

The second gun I sent to Karl is a custom .25-06 Rem 700. On that gun I am doing the barreled action in titanium grey. I am having the bolt fluted in the Remington Ti 6 flute pattern with the flutes filled in matte black and the bolt body titanium grey as well. I am also having Karl install a custom bolt knob. Karl will also be coating a custom Rem 700 Oberndorf style bottom metal in matte black that was produced by PTG http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bottom .That bottom metal is getting done as part of the package but will be going on my Kenny Jarrett 700 when it comes back as the PTG metal fits better on the McMillan stock the Jarrett features than the HS-Precision stock Mel's features.

Needless to say I am looking forward to those two guns coming back.

004.jpg

003.jpg

Today with the nice weather I was able hit the range with the bow as mentioned previously and also several rifles etc. I was very happy to get sub-MOA accuracy out of each of the rifles I brought, two of which I had not really worked with before.

I shot my Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight in .25 WSSM with 120gr accubonds @3050 choro'd with my first group coming in just under an inch.

TgtGfx25WSSm.jpg

I also took out a very old Jerry Fisher custom Savage 110 which I had never previously fired with premium ammo. Today I shot the Nosler Custom Trophy grade 140gr accubonds and was very pleased to have my first three shot group coming in under an inch as well. Very good for a gun that is a half century old and taken many head of mulies and elk over those years!!

TgtGfxFisher7mm140grNosler.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

Finally..I was also super psyched to take out another new gun which I had purchased last fall during bow season and had yet to shoot. I bought this gun simply because it filled in a big whole iin the lower end of my guns in terms of caliber selection, and more importantly because I was able to get an absolutely incredibly amazing deal on the gun. The gun is a Mark Bansner Alpine .22-250 topped with the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 LR scope. These guns sell for new around $2200 and the scopes for $600ish. http://www.bansnersrifle.com/custom_rifles.html After years of keeping my eye out for one of these guns (in any caliber at a good price), I was amazed when I was able to scoop up this complete setup, which was in brand new almost unfired condition, for only $1100!!

The gun was scoped and ready to go...the first ammo I tried in the gun was the 50gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips at @3700fps choron'ed....Needless to say I was very pleased with the results! Below are my first three shots ever out of the gun!...Didn't even need to sight it in! Subsequent groups with this and other ammo was also comparable!

While I still have a bunch of guns and stuff to work on, this was a great way to get the year started for sure!

JC

TgtGfx22-250.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

Latest posts

Back