Precision duplex sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief55

Reaction score
I was so impressed by these duplex sabots and had not seen any posting on them I thought I might share the experance I have had with them so far.

I recently got a Kahnke 50cal pistol with a 12 barrel for deer hunting as I have tendanitus, (sorry I can't spell to save my life, :oops: ), bad in both elbows and so long guns are not to much fun for me to carry all day anymore. Anyway, Gordan sent me some 195gr precision duplex sabots for free with the pistol to try out. :shock: I had never heard of any such thing, that is why I am writing this. It is a 195gr 35cal ballistic tip boatail bullet inside of a 45cal sabot insided of a 50cal sabot. :shock: yah me to. :roll: :lol: Though it would tumble bad. Wrong, they shot great. Had some 240gr and 250gr sabots, (needed 300gr cause gun has 1:26 twist) and the 195's shot about 10 inches higher all using 90 grains of powder. I was impressed so got some of the 175gr duplex sabots and they shot 2 inches higher than the 195's at 100yrds. They stablized like a 300gr cause they are just as long but shot so much higher I was amazed by them.

I had removed the hotshot nipple and put on a mag-spark so I could use blackhorn 209 and the 209 primers. Had heard the blackhorn burned faster and with the 12 inch barrel was worried about getting all of the powder burned. Seemed to work good.

After the 195's shot so good I put on a red dot sight and adjusted to the 175's. Still only trying 90 grains of powder, (never did try other powder loads), At 25yrd hit inside of the top corner of a 1 inch diamond bull. At 100yrds shot 2-2.5 inch group, 1.5-2 inches high. :shock: It was still climbing. That bullet is smoking. I shot a 41mag to compair, 2 inches high at 25yrd and 2 inches low at 100yrds. The 50cal was putting the 41mag to shame.

I was bench resting but did not take the time to clean between 3 shot groups. The gun and load did so well some guys came over to watch. They could not believe it was a muzzleloader.

Now tempted to get a pistol scope to see what it can really do and a crono to see how fast it is going. Maybe some day.

Well thought some of you might want to check Precision bullets out.

http://www.prbullet.com/
http://www.prbullet.com/

I really love this gun. It has been a long time since I got really excighted about a muzzle loading pistol. Still testing different loads in it for fun. Will most likely use a barnes solid copper bullet or hard cast for hunting. Thought I would show you a picture of it.

Pistols006-1.jpg

Ive been looking for a modern inline ML single shot. I forgot all about the MagSpark conversion and gave up the idea after getting hooked on BH209.

Thats pretty amazing it will shoot that charge and duplex that well. I will have to see if they make a 45 now. :D

It does great with the regular full power 209 primers. No hessitation and as far as I can tell it is burning a full charge of 90 grains of blackhorn but will do some tests to find out. Just got a chrono to do some velocity testing but want to get some barnes bullets before I take it back out. This thing is a blast to shoot but kicks like a mule with a 300 grain bullet.

Gordan makes it in a 36, 45, 50, and 54 calibers. Barrels are interchangable and can be had in 10.5, 12, and 14 inch but he has also been known to do a 16 inch and 20 gauge. Talked to him a couple of weeks ago, he has not been feeling very well, getting up in years is taking a heavy toll on him now days.

Latest posts

Back