Primers went through the washing machine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_e_nelson

Reaction score
I washed my hunting jacket the other day and when I took it out of the machine my T-bone primer holder was sitting there at the bottom of the washing machine.
Are those primers still good?
In either case I will only use them at the range, but how water proof are
they?
thanks

I wouldn't use them to hunt but I would give them a few days to dry out and try them at the range i bet they go off.

You might try them on the range but wouldn't use them for hunting. For what they're worth buy new ones.

Use them to clear the flash channel. I always snap 3 caps prior to loading. Looks like you have plenty of "volunteers".

I wouldn't expect them to work.
At least they cost less than the flash drive that I put through the washer and dryer! :cry: Lost a whole bunch of information with that one!
When I put the second one through the washer, I rescued it, let it dry out for two weeks and it was fine. I guess it was the dryer that wrecked it :lol:
I gotta quit doing that!!

jaybe said:
I wouldn't expect them to work.
At least they cost less than the flash drive that I put through the washer and dryer! :cry: Lost a whole bunch of information with that one!
When I put the second one through the washer, I rescued it, let it dry out for two weeks and it was fine. I guess it was the dryer that wrecked it :lol:
I gotta quit doing that!!

sounds EXACTLY like something I would do! :wink:

I would like to hear if you tried them or not..Curious as to what you found out..

I did a test, just for fun...

I put 3 -209 primers, the standard CCIs in a cup of water, went to the store for a little more than an hour, put 1 in my gun and it banged so I left the others in for about 6 more hours, put 1 in and banged maybe not a strong but would have set off a charge in my opinion. I left the other overnight for a total of close to 24 hrs and it did not bang. Surpized me that they could take immersion that long and maybe the well sealed ones would last even longer and I was just seeing variation in seal quality. That said, I agree that yours should be used as 'cleaners'. Steve

Waay back when I was young and foolish (now I am just foolish) I had let 6 243 primed cases on the bench. I had a bucket of water nearby for reasons lost to time. My oldest son the next day got into the basement and thought those primed cases should be in the water. When I got home I discovered them. I have always felt that backing out a live primer isn't the most prudent thing to do. I removed them and dumped the water. Let them dry for an hour or so and fired them off in my rifle. To my amazement they all fired. 3 of the six had been sitting upright so no air bubble could have been in the case to protect the primer. I never would just throw them in the trash as I feel that would be too dangerous. If they were mine I would try them in the rifle whether to just shoot them off or at the range. If used at the range I would not count them as reliable for any sighting in or fine tuning.

Back