Pro Hunter SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega45

Reaction score
Haven't been posting much here on the forum lately but wanted to show what has become my favorite smokeless muzzleloader to shoot. :p

Pro Hunter frame with some Bellm upgrades, laminated stock, Tony Gettel laminated pillared vented forearm and a Slufoot converted 45-70 rifle barrel with Savage breech plug. DNZ mount and a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40AO. This gun is just fun to shoot, keeping the loads on the mild side.

After getting the Tony Gettel pillared forearm I have went to the range twice. First trip was to get the scope on at 50yds and chrono some loads. Four shots, three 225 FTX's and one 250 Parker BE sabotless with wool wad.

Next trip was 100yds. First 3 shots at 100yds with the 225 FTX's sabotless with wool wad.

I tried a new load at 100yds before leaving shooting five 250gr Parker BE blems. The blem does not stop them from shooting pretty good. Just basically a cosmetic defect.

This is my lightest and most compact smokeless muzzleloader. Should make a nice rig for sneaking through the timber :D

***45-70 rifle barrel converted to smokeless muzzleloader***

:prayer:

Steve,
You have great groups there. I had better pm Carlos and tell he's got some real competition to deal with here :)

Ray.......... :wink:
Great shootin' Steve and a cool looking rifle :!:

That is an awesome looking rifle, and according to the groups it looks like she's a shooter too. Very nice

Now that is some mighty fine shooting by a a couple of good shooters. Did you size them bullet with the Lee die down to 0.450? Less? More? It seems your targets tell me you are shooting a duplex load. What powders? 4759/10X? It appear you have yourself a real good hunting rifle.

That is a really nice looking and shooting setup. The forearm looks great, ive never seen one like that before. IIRC Mountainam used to like a 10X duplex too but with sabots. I don't remember what booster he was using. It may have been sr4759 also or N110.

Ron,

The 225 FTX's were sized thru a Lee .449 then knurled for proper fit. The 250 BE's were sized thru a Lee .450 die with no knurl required for proper fit. The Parkers have a thinner jacket than the SST's and springback less after sizing.

Both are duplex loads. The 10/48 with the 225 FTX's is 4759-H4198. The 10/50 with the 250 BE's is 4759-10X. I like using a duplex as I can size a shade smaller for loading and not have to worry about any ignition issues.

The Bellm upgrades are:
51lb hammer spring
#3 trigger spring *2.5lb trigger
Shims for headspacing

I also use the TC adjustable hinge pin with this frame.

The problem I had before with other forearms was the screws kept loosening and none really provided the proper fit. The pillared forearm made by Tony Gettel fits great, matches the TH stock I already had and the screws stay put. He had my barrel blank on hand for fitting which saved me from sending mine. You can check out his work here. Just go into the TC Rifle Showcase.
http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/

Scott,

Thunder53 has the gray laminated vented forearm on his Pro Hunter 45-70 conversion. I would have never known about them if it wasn't for him.

Back