Progress...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
Finally got to put some real range time in with my new gun. Got sighted in. Started to experiment with a couple different brands of sabots. Had to stop short because I started to develop a flinch. Here's my best of the day:
Picture025.jpg

WOW!!! what an improvement from the CVA. No problem taking deer @ 100 yards with this group. :yeah: You have to be very happy with the first range results. When you find your pet load I am sure the group will get ever smaller.

Is that 80gr's by weight or by volume?

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
WOW!!! what an improvement from the CVA. No problem taking deer @ 100 yards with this group. :yeah: You have to be very happy with the first range results. When you find your pet load I am sure the group will get ever smaller.

That would be by volume...I have read articles about weighing charges, but I don't quite understand it all yet. Until I do, I'll stick to my little clear plastic t/c powder measure. 8)

Your gettin there Doegirl! I see you have some blowback in the breech. What primer are you using? I was getting the same blowback from Winchester W209, but none from the Remington Kleanbore 209's.

Did you put a Simms Pad on the stock yet?

Truck-Remington STS primers. $1.99 per 100 @ Meijer's :lol: Put about 15 shots through the gun today. Is that alot of blowback for that many shots? Yeah, that recoil pad would be nice, but first I'm going to get an E-Z TIP EXTRACTOR. It's a major pain in the butt to have to disassemble the whole gun just to pull the breechplug :evil:

No, thats about the average amount of blowback for 15 shots, it gets worse of course the more you shoot.

Keep a close watch on your firing pin though and make sure it is free moving! After each range session now I clean the firing pin assembly too, cause the blowback gets in and around the pin and it will freeze up and you won't be able to open the gun. I broke my first pin that way. I called TC and had them send me another pin and springs for backup and they also sent the round housing that the pin sits in, no charge. 8)

You are going to love the customer service from TC they are great to deal with...at least so far in my experiences. (knock on wood)

Great shootin doegirl!!!!!!

Thats one helluva group your first time out with your new gun!! In fact, some xperienced MLers(if they fessed up :lol: ) would be happy with that even after several shooting sessions... :lol:

Just remove the extractor. I don't think it makes a dern bit o difference about blowback. No need for an EZ. I've yet to need more than my fingernails to remove a primer.

Stock looks even nicer in that pic!

Underclocked said:
Just remove the extractor. I don't think it makes a dern bit o difference about blowback. No need for an EZ. I've yet to need more than my fingernails to remove a primer.

Stock looks even nicer in that pic!

Good, that extractor's goin' bye-bye! :twisted: !

I don't like the extractor either, but have had the Winchester W209 primer stick in a hunting situation one very cold evening. I had to use a truck key to work it loose. Now I have a forked primer remover from Traditions, I believe, one end for 209's the other for #11 caps.

I probably have 6-700 shots through my Encore now from when I had the .45 barrel and now the .50 cal.

UC, have you ever tried a O-ring gasket on the breechplug to see if that helps the blowback? TC put them on the new Pro Hunter plugs.

No, haven't messed with my Encore in quite awhile. Got it to shooting and hunted with it a little and have since pretty much used my G2 and Whites.

doegirl said:
Hunt 4 Bucks said:

That would be by volume...I have read articles about weighing charges, but I don't quite understand it all yet. Until I do, I'll stick to my little clear plastic t/c powder measure. 8)

Did you notice much of a difference in recoil from your .45 to the .50?
Bet the recoil was pretty manageable at 80gr./250gr.

Hunt4Bucks: Actually, I noticed the difference between bullets. The Hornady hp/xtp had a mild recoil. Those are what I used to sight in with. The Shockwaves had a noticeably stronger kick. I don't know why that's so. They're both the same weight.

doegirl said:
Hunt4Bucks: Actually, I noticed the difference between bullets. The Hornady hp/xtp had a mild recoil. Those are what I used to sight in with. The Shockwaves had a noticeably stronger kick. I don't know why that's so. They're both the same weight.

With all other variables being equal, the only variable left for the increased recoil would be bullet velocity.

Were you using the exact same sabot for both or the supplied shockwave sabots?

Did you notice that the shockwaves loaded harder/tighter?

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
doegirl said:

With all other variables being equal, the only variable left for the increased recoil would be bullet velocity.

Were you using the exact same sabot for both or the supplied shockwave sabots?

Did you notice that the shockwaves loaded harder/tighter?

I used the supplied sabots with the shockwave. Yeah, they did fit tighter. Tighter seal leading to more gas being trapped behind the sabot meaning higher velocity and greater recoil? Sounds plausible. :)

(':lol:')
That's what yopu where looking for Doegirl from here on you will what shoots best with your gun , but it looks like the shockwave my be it . They shoot great out of my 50 cal. Omega .
Sundowner

I think that was really great for your first time out with a new gun! I would be proud of that results! I know the Encore was a LOT more money but I think it was worth it..

About the recoil issue...IMO there is only two explanations...the one above but..there really shouldn't be that much difference OR maybe the Shockwaves were the last you shot and you were just a little worn down from the other shots..

big6x6 said:
I think that was really great for your first time out with a new gun! I would be proud of that results! I know the Encore was a LOT more money but I think it was worth it..

About the recoil issue...IMO there is only two explanations...the one above but..there really shouldn't be that much difference OR maybe the Shockwaves were the last you shot and you were just a little worn down from the other shots..
Good point, it was towards the end of the session when I started shooting the shockwaves...

Back