Proper sizing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkbark36

Reaction score
Okay I have searched and searched and not found exactly what I'm looking for so figured i would ask specifically. Maybe help someone else in the future find it.

So....is there a consensus on proper conical sizing?

Will be casting flat base PURE LEAD conicals.

I've hear 1 thou under to 3 thou over BORE diameter.

I would think you would want about 1-2 thousandths over bore diameter, but the more I read the more contradictions I seem to find lol.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Well that just it, everyone has their opinion on what's best . some like 1-2 thousands over for fear that a bullet will get bumped of the powder charge and that is a legitimate concern. For ease of loading I prefer either bore size or a thousand under and its up to me to make sure that its on the powder if I'm concerned if it somehow got bumped off.

Doc White is a big fan of bore size or a thousand under, this was taken from his book.

Attachments

• 20201230_150638.jpg
    20201230_150638.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 15
Doc White is a big fan of bore size or a thousand under, this was taken from his book.

Gotcha. The slipping was actually one of the reasons I was thinking going over.

I know that end of the day I'll probably end up with all kinds of sizers, but trying to get 'close' with my set up.

Idaholewis has a video showing why he likes the .002 over and a lot has to do with how he has to travel to get to his hunting location.

Idahoron has a video of him paper patching where he is sizing 3-4 thousands under and another video showing him loading and shooting and its very clear that he can use one finger on the ramrod to push bullet down.

There is not only preference of why we do things but reasoning as well.

It really depends on the Particular Bore, The Bore is the ULTIMATE Deciding factor in What size you need

As a general rule, for an Elk Hunting bullet, Where i will be doing a LOT of Walking in ALL sorts of Terrain, I go .001-.002 Over Bore size so they will Hold GOOD & SNUG on the Powder Charge. The last thing i want to Worry about is my Bullet Backing off the powder Charge, On the other hand if i were sitting on a Whitetail Deer Stand, i would be PERFECTLY happy with one of my “Slip Fit” Target Bullets.

For Target/Bench Shooting, I size to “Land/Bore Ride” I want my Bullets to “JUST KISS” the Rifling on the Way Down, The weight of my Range Rod Alone is usually enough to Push the Bullet down to the powder, at most i might have to Help it with my Thumb & index finger, But NO Hard pushing

As for how far down should you size a Conical? I have taken them down IN STEPS as far as .0010, For example, I have taken a .458-.459 Bullet Down to .449, But that is NOT ideal, The closer you are to being correct from the Mold, the better off you are, Sizing as much as .003-.004 MAX is much Better

Yall are freakin' awesome!

Exactly the info I was looking for. I mainly deer hunt, but alot of it is still hunting in the Ouachita mountains.

Will probably go bore sized or 1 over.

Thanks a ton guys.

Idahoron has a video of him paper patching where he is sizing 3-4 thousands under and another video showing him loading and shooting and its very clear that he can use one finger on the ramrod to push bullet down.

Yes that was with my 45, I did the torture test with that. I shot 10 times no cleaning, and it was still loading fine and hitting the target at what ever yardage I shot it at.
Now the 50's I shot my bull with this year are tighter. After I wrap my Lee 500 S&W bullets I size to .501 This gives me a real tight fit. I have done a torture test with them too. Again I got to 10 shots without cleaning, and it was still shooting well within my tolerances. That bullet fits pretty dang snug. I have never had an instance where the bullet come off the powder but I am very careful with that.
I know my 50's won't come off. My son rides with his rifle nose down in a scabbard on his motorcycle. Now my 45's would come off the powder if they rode like that. But again I know it is a possibility to I manage for that.

Yes that was with my 45, I did the torture test with that. I shot 10 times no cleaning, and it was still loading fine and hitting the target at what ever yardage I shot it at.
Now the 50's I shot my bull with this year are tighter. After I wrap my Lee 500 S&W bullets I size to .501 This gives me a real tight fit. I have done a torture test with them too. Again I got to 10 shots without cleaning, and it was still shooting well within my tolerances. That bullet fits pretty dang snug. I have never had an instance where the bullet come off the powder but I am very careful with that.
I know my 50's won't come off. My son rides with his rifle nose down in a scabbard on his motorcycle. Now my 45's would come off the powder if they rode like that. But again I know it is a possibility to I manage for that.

Pyrodex P is your Best Friend when it comes to Loading Your PP Bullets in a Fouled Bore, This Due to it‘s Soft GOO type Fouling. Real Blackpowder such as Swiss on the other hand, you are in Deep POO on a Reload WITHOUT Swabbing, The Fouling is about like 80 Grit Sandpaper stuck to the Bore walls, I can’t get 1 Reload down a Swiss Fouled Bore, it Strips the Paper Skirt off like a Whore on Dollar night

TALK ABOUT BUMP OFF!! I was using a harvester bullet for deer in my Encore. I thought they loaded pretty easy. When a doe walked out, & all I got was"pop". 209 primer! Only thing left! Bullet had fallen out, & the powder. They melted in to nice 38 was cutters. Lol.

Idahoron....that .50 that you are sizing to .501, is that on a .500 or .501 bore diameter?

I didn't size them. I bought them for 50 Encore. Supposed to be a great hunting bullet. For squirrels I guess. Don't point your gun down. 😆

Latest posts

Back