Pros and cons of pellets versus granular powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyjoe Surrett

Reaction score
I've been shooting for years with pellets t7 mostly. Recently I've been thinking about switching to granular powder. I have a tk2000 that I have to shoot granular in. My other question is can I use blackthorn 209 in both my rifle and shot gun or do I need to just use the granular t7 in both. I really like the reviews I've saw and read about 209 but damn the price is crazy any advice is helpful. Also my rifle is a knight American that I've had cerkoteed and a custom Boyd's stock on it. Main reason for asking is I'm looking for less cleaning without going smokless

The BH209 isn't worth it UNLESS you've done your load development and plan on firing a shot or two per year to confirm zero and then a shot or two at animals.

I personally go with real black (if I wanted to shoot anything else I'd shoot a modern cartridge gun), it is messier when cleaning but no harder to clean than pyrodex AND it doesn't start rusting the second you pull the trigger (I've had rust form 8 hours after shooting pyrodex, same gun took weeks to show issues with black powder residue. Always using only natural lubes like Crisco on the wads, patches and bullets and veg oil for lube/preservation of the metal)

As far as cleaning, real BP (or any of the subs) are messier than a smokeless cartridge gun to clean, but they take no more time - just a few more paper towels. Revolver gets cleaned with veg oil of all things (and damn that shiat works), rifle gets cleaned with near boiling hot water and elbow grease, followed by a wipe down with a oiled but clean rag

Latest posts

Back