Pros and cons of pellets versus granular powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the shotgun, I don't guess it matters, but I've seen five grains of Pyrodex make a pretty radical difference in accuracy in my Bighorn. I cannot imagine going to (settling for) pellets, even if my state allowed it.

Why can't I use it in a plunger style muzzleloader

From what I understand BH209 has a different pressure curve than real black. Enough pressure can cause plunger or hammer to move back and let gasses escape etc.

When you have a non-locking or closed breech and a proper spring and weight set up and a mag to feed rounds we call that a "blowback action" - just like a semiauto 22

Well you don't make a breech plug for a knight American so that didn't help me much. It's not like I'm gonna be shooting a very potent load anyhow. 80-90 grains max in either gun maybe less than that in the shotgun

Well you don't make a breech plug for a knight American so that didn't help me much. It's not like I'm gonna be shooting a very potent load anyhow. 80-90 grains max in either gun maybe less than that in the shotgun
Here in America, you can do what ever you want to as long as its legal. Take all possible safety precautions and give it a try. Maybe it’ll work out for you. Maybe not. The possibility of injury to your face and hands is there. Be warned, be careful, be recording it so we can see how it goes.

I tried to help answer your question:

Bobbyjoe Surrett said:
Why can't I use {BLACKHORN209} in a plunger style muzzleloader?

The answer to your question was there. Blackhorn209 isn't reliable in leaky systems, and on some guns there are fixes on others there are not. I never said I offered a fix for your particular gun.

But like Michiganmuzzy said...

"Take all possible safety precautions and give it a try. Maybe it’ll work out for you. Maybe not. The possibility of injury to your face and hands is there. Be warned, be careful, be recording it so we can see how it goes."

Best wishes.

Tom

I tried to help answer your question:

Bobbyjoe Surrett said:
Why can't I use {BLACKHORN209} in a plunger style muzzleloader?

The answer to your question was there. Blackhorn209 isn't reliable in leaky systems, and on some guns there are fixes on others there are not. I never said I offered a fix for your particular gun.

But like Michiganmuzzy said...

"Take all possible safety precautions and give it a try. Maybe it’ll work out for you. Maybe not. The possibility of injury to your face and hands is there. Be warned, be careful, be recording it so we can see how it goes."

Best wishes.

Tom
I'll for sure record the results

I'll for sure give it a try tho if I ever decide to buy some blackhorn. I'm not to concerned with the reloading aspect of it reloading a muzz is a slow process anyhow pellets are some faster. I'll be measuring by volume not weight for my powder loads cause it's just easier for me instead of buying a scale to weigh it
A prime example of easier ain't always better an try dividing (tuning your powder amount ) to your rifle ,won't happen with pellets and weighting is perhaps the best method (for sameness) accuracy . And not for nothing but front stuffers ain't supposed to be fast ,just accurate !! Most competitions are won with weighted charges /same powder/ projectiles /ignition vary and you lose /Ed

Back