Pros and cons of pellets versus granular powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyjoe Surrett

Reaction score
I've been shooting for years with pellets t7 mostly. Recently I've been thinking about switching to granular powder. I have a tk2000 that I have to shoot granular in. My other question is can I use blackthorn 209 in both my rifle and shot gun or do I need to just use the granular t7 in both. I really like the reviews I've saw and read about 209 but damn the price is crazy any advice is helpful. Also my rifle is a knight American that I've had cerkoteed and a custom Boyd's stock on it. Main reason for asking is I'm looking for less cleaning without going smokless

I'd burn T7 ffg in the shotgun. BH209 needs to have a heavy tamp on it to burn as its supposed to and your rifle will allow that. The shotgun likely will not hold that pressure since the barrels are smooth.

I'd burn T7 ffg in the shotgun. BH209 needs to have a heavy tamp on it to burn as its supposed to and your rifle will allow that. The shotgun likely will not hold that pressure since the barrels are smooth.
Not even with shotcup 2 ounces of shot and a fiber wad?

That shot cup would have to load awful tight I think. You can try it, but I think the lack of rifling will make things too slick and a well tamped charge that's three hours old may not have the tamp pressure it did at the beginning of that three hours. I think that rifling creates an interference angle that helps keep loaded pressure sufficient for blackhorn to work as it should.

I'll for sure give it a try tho if I ever decide to buy some blackhorn. I'm not to concerned with the reloading aspect of it reloading a muzz is a slow process anyhow pellets are some faster. I'll be measuring by volume not weight for my powder loads cause it's just easier for me instead of buying a scale to weigh it

I'll for sure give it a try tho if I ever decide to buy some blackhorn. I'm not to concerned with the reloading aspect of it reloading a muzz is a slow process anyhow pellets are some faster. I'll be measuring by volume not weight for my powder loads cause it's just easier for me instead of buying a scale to weigh it
Pellets aren’t any faster if you measure your loose powder charges ahead of time like most people do.

I’d bet Bh209 will work in your TK2000 but you’d probably want to use a 5 gr black powder igniter with it for good ignition. Let us know if you try it. I’ve used it in a caplock - worked fine with an igniter.
Do I need an igniter with 209 primers

No - just when using a cap ignition system. Although it depends on the design of your breech plug. I use an igniter with 777 in my White a Tominator shotgun (#11 caps).
That's what I was thinking cause the 209 primer is hot enuff to ignite the powder.

So can I expect better accuracy and less cleaning using the blackhorn between shots as of now using the t7 pellets I can get five accurate shots before I clean the barrel on my rifle and the first shot is always low with the clean barrel for some odd reason

Less cleaning for sure. You can shoot as many as you like with Bh209 and not see any appreciable fouling build up.
Now that is what I'm looking for. It takes some time to break down a knight and give it a good cleaning. One of the pros I'm looking at also is the ability to make my own loads like 80 grains or whatever instead of 100 or 150

Still looking for more info as to actual **** out using granular powder I know that ther is some sort of glue in pellets and I think that is what caused so much fouling

The only pro to pellets I can think of is "need ammo and it is the only thing available". Cons? Fixed load size. Extra crap added to them (something has to keep 'em in that nice pellet shape), I've heard they may need a bit hotter ignition source, cost per pull of the trigger (though if BH209 is on your radar this may not be an issue).

Pre-measuring into individual serving size containers :) gives loose powder the same "convenience" factor. I use 30gr charges in a 5ml flip top tube. The revolver gets one tube per cylinder hole, the rifle gets one to three, the shotgun gets two or three.

As to BH209 vs T7 - I don't do the replacements (I shoot ML to shoot BP, if I wanted cleaner I'd shoot my cartridge guns), but BH209 is just too expensive for me, I shoot way to much to have something that is gonna cost me $3/shot. Real BP, T7 and Pyrodex all cost about the same (real BP is actually a buck or three cheaper per pound from where I buy) and the hazmat and shipping is the same and I'd rather deal with the extra mess (not much) of real BP and not deal with the insta-rust of Pyrodex and T7. From what I've seen from a buddy shooting, the T7 gives a little more oomph than the Pyrodex and it doesn't smell quite as terrible.

Now that is what I'm looking for. It takes some time to break down a knight and give it a good cleaning. One of the pros I'm looking at also is the ability to make my own loads like 80 grains or whatever instead of 100 or 150
With three different volume ratios of T7 pellets, you can get different charges. There are 60gr, 50gr and 30gr T7 pellets, so there are a number of combinations available.

Latest posts

Back