Pulled Charge from my Omega...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
This another one of my questions that i ask myself every once in awhile. I have done this experiment sorta before with a Remington and setting it out on the deck for week in December - exposed to what ever weather came along.... I worked fine back then took the gun to range and shot it - it right on spot @ 100...

Todyas was different it was with the rifle I have been hunting with since October... so anyway - here is the info...

After hunting today, in a torental downpour, I thought it might be interesting to pull the charge and see what it looks like.... but first a little history.

This is an Omega - the gun was last shot on 10/8 - just prior to hunting season. I shot it 4 times to verify POI. The barrel was then swabbed with 3 windex patches, dryed, then a very light coat of Slip 2000 synthetic gun oil was applied to the bore. The taped breech plug was not removed.

On the evening of Oct. 9th the gun was reloaded with 110 grains of T7-2f and a HPH-24 with a .451 Nosler Partition.

Most of October was very warm and dry - can not even say that there were really cool mornings. On the other hand Novemeber has been cool to cold. Today, Nov 7th, was the 3rd rain storm the gun had been through + there was one morning with a very wet snow/rain mixture. The gun has been totally soaked on all of these occasions. After each of these trips, the gun was brought into the house dryed and wipe clean with a treated rag.

After today.. i thought what the heck i am going to push the load out, to cheap to shoot it out - the Nosler costs to much, so when I got home I wiped the gun down blew out the water from the trigger mechanism and the stock with compressed air. I then brought the gun in - removed the breech plug - set the butt pad on the piece of paper you see and pushed the load out.

No doubt about it... that load was dry and would have gone boom just fine. Now I gotta load the whole thing again - get ready for tomarrow morning... and NO! not with the same powder...

10-7Pulledcharge.jpg

Chief

Gosh! I am glad I had already dumped it down the toilet before you issued that challenge.... but...

I'd rather think of it as being prudent!

The odd thing is that I did everything wrong with the gun - it went from the den to the truck - then from the truck back into the den...

Had it really been exposd to really cold temps it would have made an intermediate stop in the garage before it came in the house, but other than that everything would have been the same....

thats why i only use T7 pellets ..when i push the load out ,i can reuse it again ....i shure hope that the BLACKHORN 209 will some day soon come also in pellets....

sabotloader said:
Chief

Gosh! I am glad I had already dumped it down the toilet before you issued that challenge.... but...

I'd rather think of it as being prudent!

The odd thing is that I did everything wrong with the gun - it went from the den to the truck - then from the truck back into the den...

Had it really been exposd to really cold temps it would have made an intermediate stop in the garage before it came in the house, but other than that everything would have been the same....

Excuses,,,excuses..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Latest posts

Back