Putting iron sights on a disc elite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d94jonca

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my wife order me a Knight Disc Elite .45 for christmas.... and then I found out that this rifle comes without iron sight, which is a problem since the state where I will do most of my muzzeloading hunting does not allow *any* scopes - not even non-magnifying ones.

I guess this serves me right for not doing my homework, but does anyone know if a professional gunsmith can put on a peep sight on an elite .45 or if the barrel is just too thin?

Im not familiar with the term "Knightlight". Is that the barrel the disc elite uses?

d94jonca said:
Im not familiar with the term "Knightlight". Is that the barrel the disc elite uses?

Yes, actually "Knight-Lite" is the term they used.

The whole idea was to offer a contoured barrel, just like you see in most any centerfire hunting rifle, remove excess weight, and get the gun more neutrally balanced compared to most muzzleloaders that are muzzle heavy. It did all those things quite well.

But, the human condition being what it is-- well, we complain a bit about unsightly filler screws to remove iron sights on barrels, and then complain about no iron sights on smooth barrels. It seems if barrels have iron sights, we can't wait to remove them, but if they don't-- then we just can't wait to try to put some on. :wink:

I tested a Christensen Arms carbon fiber wrapped barrel. For whatever reason, the order was screwed up-- and they put iron sights on the barrel, held in place with epoxy. I sure didn't want them, and was told that the glue they used was so amazingly tough, it was impossible to remove.

The rifle went on a a hunt, out of the country. When I got off the plane, the "impossible-to-remove" expoxied sights were laying loose inside the gun luggage case, right next to the rifle. :oops: :roll:

okay, so the glue is out. There is still duct tape!

Randy,

Thanks for all the info you have gave me on the Disc Elite. Loads, where to buy one and ........

I REALLY do appreciate it. This forum is great.

Marty

http://68.72.74.113/PRODUCTS/330.htm

I've used Loctite "Depend" for many years-- and, it really is a tough bonding adhesive. But, I've not used it on gun sights so can't tell you how great or not so great it might be.

The cyanoacrylates ("super glues") are generally not very good, as they are too brittle / impact sensitive.

I can see where sites would be a problem if you did not have them and the state laws said no scoped guns. I live in Texas and there is no restrictions. I like shooting with a scope anyway.

Seems like if you put sights on the thin barrel it would effect the whip of the barrel. I do not know this but it seems that way.

One of my gun is a 270 A-bolt with a BOSS on the end. Best shooting gun I have EVER owned. It makes a lot of difference where you dail the BOSS in on different loads.

Not sure glue would every hold anyway.

"It seems if barrels have iron sights, we can't wait to remove them, but if they don't-- then we just can't wait to try to put some on. "

lol. im not complaining about their decision not to put them on. if anything, im complaing about my unability to read the friggin description that says out loud it doesnt come with irons :D

oh well. so if i cant put irons on it ill guess it'll be primarily for hunting in iowa, where you can use them. cant use my centerfire there anyway. as for the minnesota ml season, i guess i could always make my own iron sights in a 1.5 foot alu tube that i mount in the scope rings. i have so many iron sights takeoffs from my centerfire rifles, might just put them to use. it'll be less than ideal but should be adequate for shots out to 40 yards or so and i rarely get longer shots than that anyway.

or perhaps i should just go to the doctor, pretend to be half blind and get one of those permits for vision impared persons to use a red-dot on the ML :D

Others I have read have put sites on the Elite... epoxied the fronts and ghost ring on one of the scope bases... don't remember where read though.

sort of a change but you can probably get a extreeme barrel from knight. It's cheaper than another ML

Midway sells these http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=682750

in a variety of diameters to fit most barrels. That is JUST the ramp though. The sight inserts aren't cheap and you would also need a rear peep such as the one from XS Sights. That and you would likely need a gunsmith to install the front ramp. No need to drill though. :shock:

All in all, a second rifle might be a better choice - maybe a Sidekick.

All in all, a second rifle might be a better choice - maybe a Sidekick.

That is a GREAT idea. By the time one purchases everything and then gets it all installed...we're taking about $150-200 here for SIGHTS. Best option IS to pick up a Wolverine 209 at a good price, a Sidekick, or maybe a White Whitetail and sight it in with irons and forget it.

btw... this is how this story ended: i made "iron sights" that went into the scope rings from a 1" aluminum tube, about 16" long. i put a horizontal screw through it in the back end and drilled a peep hole through that screw. i put a vertical screw in the front end, . in order to make the screws not rattle around i used nylon-lined nuts that i epoxied into the tube itself. somewhat surprising, despite the short sight base, i consistently get 4 MOA groups or better with this setup. all for about $10.

Back