Pyrodex Pellets in ROA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank in Fairfield

Reaction score
When you use PYRODEX pellets in the revolver, do you still use either a felt pad or grease to prevent cross-firing? Or are those items not required with the pellets?

I got the answer:

• Using Pyrodex Pellets in both cap and ball revolvers and muzzleloading rifles is easy. With revolvers, point the muzzle up and drop a pellet in the chamber. Next place an Ox-Yoke Wonder Wad over it and a proper size pure lead round ball on top. Then the rammer will seat everything properly.

I tried Pyrodex pellets in my ROA, almost 20 years ago.

Zero ignition problems, I could have been filming a commercial for Pyrodex!

It really cut down on the “fooling around,” but I went nack to granulated powder.

I realized that the “fooling around” is why I was into the ROA, in the first place! 🤠

I’ve tried those pellets in 58 Remington, 1860 Colt, Walker (2 pellets). No wad or filler. They made nice tracers. Pushed the ball out at maybe 50 fps. Tried them with a wad, got a little better. Two wads and I felt the pellets crush. It did great. Tried them in 45 Colt. Not so good. Crushed the pellet and it did fine. Don’t know what is going on. Maybe they were old or damp? Haven’t tried them in my Ruger yet..

I’ve tried those pellets in 58 Remington, 1860 Colt, Walker (2 pellets). No wad or filler. They made nice tracers. Pushed the ball out at maybe 50 fps. Tried them with a wad, got a little better. Two wads and I felt the pellets crush. It did great. Tried them in 45 Colt. Not so good. Crushed the pellet and it did fine. Don’t know what is going on. Maybe they were old or damp? Haven’t tried them in my Ruger yet..
OldVic, any chance you've tried em yet?

Latest posts

Back