QLA is it bad?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadball

Reaction score
Hello my experience with the QLA system has been good but I see a lot of negative stuff. Now I'll admit I never get real serious about accuracy as long as I could shoot 4" groups at 100 yards that was good hunting accuracy for my situation. But now that I am getting back into shooting BP again I am questioning the QLA system what are your thoughts thanks

I think the only ones that had trouble with thier QLA was TC, have not heard of any others. My CVA ACCURA V2 has the QLA and it works just fine with saboted bullets and Conicals.

I had that in my Savage and it worked well for me.

TC's qla is a lot longer than Cva's is. I had heard over and over that they didn't always get it aligned with the actual bore and that caused the issue with conical accuracy. I've only gotten into TC's recently and only shot sabots thru the one with a qla. Then sold it to get something dif. Now i have a Black Diamond xr 45 and I had the qla removed before i shot it. So I didn't even find out if it was true. I have never had accuracy issues with CVAs and coni's as far as i know. But I've also never had accuracy issues with the TC's. I guess i went by the "better safe than sorry" thinking.

I've had 2 TC's, a Triumph and a Impact with QLA, they both shot good, no complaints

Okay what about older TCs like Firehawks and Thunderhawks the one I had was a TC System one 54 and it shot good. Anybody have any bad experiences with those

If you get one that doesn't shoot conical good not that expensive to have cut off/recrowned.. Ive got 1 Thunderhawk w/o the QLA and it shoots conicals pretty good, have another with QLA that I shot a couple out of and it shot them good at 60 yds but 2 shots is not a good test.
Ive got 2 .54 Firehawks I need to try and see how they do.
Also have a .45 cal Black Diamond XR 1:20 I need to try.

Well, I have 7 Thompson centers. Both with and without the QLA in general the non QLA out group those with the QLA. In 50 and 54 cal. Most are thunderhawk 21in. Carbines.

One should not expect Omega rifles to shoot conicals accurately. When shooting conicals from Omega rifles one may see groups that look like shot gun patterns. Generally it is the QLA causing this issue.

QLAs are easily removed

True, very true. Semisane' technique to mark the barrel square is an excellent procedure that works, really works. Removing the QLA turns the Omega into an excellent conical shooter; makes it quite fun, double fun to do it one's self.

The only issues I've ever heard of are when shooting conicals out of (some) TC rifles with a misaligned QLA. If you are shooting sabots, personally I like the QLA. It makes for easier loading and no accuracy issues.

As michiganmuzzy said about the QLA, "they didn't always get it aligned with the actual bore." But sometimes they did. My X7 seems to shoot conicals pretty good. Before doing the removal, check your gun's accuracy with a few different conicals, you might get lucky.

Back