Quadruped Grass Eaters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Most of our big game animals are quadruped grass eaters. This means that those beasts we seek as game animals usually offer us broadside targets, since they tend to present themselves to a pursuer at approximate right angles. When so accepting a broadside target, we find that the vital zone of such a target is presented in the lower third of the target's thorax. This means that the kill zone of our target is usually located lower than the median line of the thorax. Consider then that when we are shooting at a quadruped grass eater, we must remember to keep our shots low. Furthermore we must remember that at any predictable distance, we are not shooting at a point but rather at a roughly circular pattern. Witness your target group. When engaging our target, we must place a theoretically circular pattern on the animal's broadside, and this in turn means that if we miss we will probably miss high, since half of our group size is going to be located above its centerline. To take this further, we discover that when engaging a game animal, our misses will tend to be high - assuming that we are pretty good shots. Most misses in the field, therefore, will be high misses, since we subconsciously tend to "help the bullet." Since our misses on game animals tend to be high, we must remember to avoid "helping the bullet" and seek to keep our pattern low on the target. -- Jeff Cooper

The high shoulder shot works for me! I'd rather be a tad high as long as the bullet doesn't land higher than the backbone, rather than crease the bottom of the brisket.

The point I took away was not to "rethink" shot placement right before you pull the trigger. Something like plan your shot and shoot your plan.

Then, eat him. 8)

RandyWakeman said:
The point I took away was not to "rethink" shot placement right before you pull the trigger. Something like plan your shot and shoot your plan.

Then, eat him. 8)

... Very well said Randy. And guilty as charged! :wink:

Doohan said:
RandyWakeman said:

Then, eat him. 8)

... Very well said Randy. And guilty as charged! :wink:

I agree! The only time that I've changed plans was when a neck shot wasn't feasable (I'll only try a neck shot at less than 75 Yds and only if the critter is calm. The hide turns out better if there aren't any holes in it!) The only time that I would even think of attempting a longer neck shot is if the animal was wounded and that was the only shot offered. (that happened once)

On that one deer, I did, but I "anticipated" the recoil and shot low, breaking her offside knee. She hobbled another 40+ yds away and bedded down behind a pretty good sized tree. Every once in a while, she'd peer around the tree and all that I could see was her head and upper neck. I'm glad that the Savage is accurate - I finished her off @ a lasered 165 Yds.

I've always been told to hit the shoulder or just behind it. I geuss that is cosidered low. and if you can put your bullett through both shoulders, that animal is'nt going to far

Think the far side of the animal as your target, not the fur in your face.

Very important when presented with an angle shot.

Interesting thoughts by Jeff and I'd have to agree. I recently helped mentor a new hunter through the entire process, including a lot of range work. While we shot a lot of standard targets in the beginning, just before going hunting we shot several archery targets that had a picture of the animal with no defined target zone. I think this was one of the most useful excercises we did. It really helped her pick out the sweet spot when the time came in the field. Her first shot was 217 yards and she placed a perfect shot with the Encore .30-06 on a caribou. Her second shot was around 90 yards and it was another perfect shot but this time with the .50 cal Encore and it too spelled the end for a caribou.

Randy,
You must be a scuba diver .
The" plan your shot and shoot your plan" sounds close to "plan your dive and dive your plan"
In any case, great advice for most endeavors.
Last minute changes usually result in poor results.

Back