question for the masses

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
I know its not MLing but has anyone shot the savage slug gun? 12 or 20 it doesnt matter. Are they as nice to shoot and as accurate as savage claims?

thanks for your input.

i bought the twenty blued and was so impressed i sold it and bought the stainless model this season. this gun handles and shoots as close to a rifle
as you will get with a shot gun. both of mine really liked the federal with barnes ammo. winner in my arsenal!

My buddy has the 12 & 20 ga Savage slug guns. If I was to buy a slug gun, I think I would get the Savage. The next would be a Browning A-Bolt slug gun. I think I'd take the Browning over the Savage, but it cost over double the Savage.

Savage is a little lacking in some refinements, though still a great choice. My friend had some feeding issues of some type, but worked through them.

I have a Bowning Gold with a slug barrel that shoots good enough, though I most often use a M-L when a centerfire is out.

would you say the 20 gauge kicks more,less or about the same as your muzzleoader?

Unless you're comparing a slug gun to a smokeless ML, the slug gun kicks more. Felt recoil is more for slug guns due to the heavier slugs they shoot. A smoker ML shooting BP subs feel like they kick less due to the slow burning propellants extending recoil over a longer time span. Felt recoil is definitely less using a BP sub shooting ML. Most slug loads are using Herco or blue dot which are very fast compared to T7 ,Pyrodex and the like.

I have a Savage 210 (12ga) and it will group Hornady 300gr SST slugs at 3/4" 100yds. I don't use it anymore because I refuse to pay upwards of $4 each for slugs. My smokeless .45ML beats it hands down by 500fps and will shoot 3/4"groups at 200yds.

Most shotgun slug velocities are unattainable as advertised. Slug companies use 30" barrels for their numbers. You won't get close using a 24" barrel.

'3/4" group at 200 yards' seems well above upper average to me. This is the internet though. Just funnin, I like my M-Ls over the slug gun usually too.

I have the 220 Savage and just love the gun. For a relatively inexpensive gun, the thing just shoots like a dream! Touching holes is the norm at 100 yards with 2 3/4 Accutips. The rubber buttpad on my gun was very soft...maybe too soft...and it tore. I called Savage and they sent me a new one FREE! Nothing bad to say about the gun. Plugged this little eater with it this year. He held the slug...pictures of that too.

Happyatcamp.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

I Believe I would go with the 12GA especially if I was thinking of making shots over 125 yard . Because to get the ballistics that are close to the 12GA when using a 20GA you would have to go with a 3inch shell and it's going to kick just as bad as the 12GA especially in a gun as light as the Savage 220, That is one reason why I went with a H/R Ultra Slugger with a Thumbhole stock , it has a little more weight that helps on lelt recoil and the others are, It well shoot Hornady 3/4(under 2IN at 150 yards) an it was a lot cheaper to buy. ( One bad think toward the H/R is , the H/R is heavy to stalk with)

I tend to disagree. There's no way that the 220's recoil, even with a 3" shell approaches a 12 gauge. The 20 has a slightly lighter slug, going faster, which all leans towards better downrange ballistics than the 12.

Not knocking the 12 at all, because if shots were kept inside 100 yards, the choice would really be the shooters. Only difference I could see there would be the weight of the slug and recoil.

I find the recoil on the Savage to be extremely tolerable...in fact, would have no problem shooting it at arm's length. My buddy has a heavy HR 12 that kicks like a zebra with a lion on its back.

C-Monkey , You mean to tell me that you felt less recoil out of the 71/2 pound Savage220 than the 9 pound H/R slugger using the same ammo? As for the 20 shooting flatter and not seeing any difference at a 100 yards I think you should look up the Hornady or Federel Premium Ammunition Ballistics chart , You might be surprised

I concede you are correct on velocities. But that same theory would have all of us buying a 300 Whiz Bang simply due to ballistics. More powder, more sound, more recoil. The 6.5x55, 7mm-08, and 250-3000 seem to exist for a reason. Yes, the HR recoils (to me) significantly more than my 220. The Savage 20 seems to be wildly popular, and for good reason...most people shoot it well. Why? Less recoil than a 12.

That being said, I would like a 12 gauge slug gun too! Once a gun nut, always a gun nut. And I do like my buddy's HR, just a bit heavy. It shoots like a dream though.

C-Monkey , Please do not think I'm trying to knock the Savage 220 or the 20GA . Because like you said we are all gun nuts ( I know I am) . As for the 220 THE GUN FEELS GREAT TO YOUR SHOULDER AND IT HAS ONE OF THE BEST TRIGGERS OUT THERE IN A SHOTGUN THAT IS AND MOST OF THEM SHOOT VERY WELL. THE REASON I WENT WITH THE ULTRA SLUG HUNTER 12GA WITH THE TH STOCK WAS THE FEEL TO ME AND THE ABILITY TO USE HEAVY OR LIGHT LOADED SHELLS, A LARGER BULLET SELECTION OVER THE 20GA AND THE PRICE WAS CHEAPER TO. (

No worries. I can see an HR in my collection some day; and good to hear when a person really likes their gun. You have very valid points.

Back