Question for the smokeless 45 shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgeviewer

Reaction score
Have any of you 45 shooters tried the Hawk round tip 200 gr or 250 gr, .356 dia from a sabot?

Ridgeviewer said:
Have any of you 45 shooters tried the Hawk round tip 200 gr or 250 gr, .356 dia from a sabot?

I have not! Experience would conclude that the wider the sabot compared to the bore the harder it is to get accuracy with a sabot. Still that's the problem with no real experience it's impossible to know for sure.

RB Writes
I have not! Experience would conclude that the wider the sabot compared to the bore the harder it is to get accuracy with a sabot. Still that's the problem with no real experience it's impossible to know for sure.

Rick, Since we're talking a 200gr and 250 gr bullet of .356 dia, I expected you to possibly mention the bullet length either favorably, unfavorably.
Do you have an opinion of how the longer bullet might perform from the sabot?

Second question for you... When you used the phrase "wider the sabot compared to the bore" are you saying the sabot being thicker, therefore stiffer?

Thanks for the Reply,
Ridge

Ridgeviewer said:
Rick, Since we're talking a 200gr and 250 gr bullet of .356 dia, I expected you to possibly mention the bullet length either favorably, unfavorably.
Do you have an opinion of how the longer bullet might perform from the sabot?

Second question for you... When you used the phrase "wider the sabot compared to the bore" are you saying the sabot being thicker, therefore stiffer?

Thanks for the Reply,
Ridge

One reason I went to 45 caliber in the beginning was the need to shoot a lightweight bullet to speed. I tried all sorts of way to get the 40 caliber 200 grain SST to shoot in the 50 caliber rifle including special sabots, different loads, and even having a sabot manufactured just for the purpose. All this led me to form Rick's rule: "It's difficult to shoot to speed accurately if the sabot is more than .060" the diameter of the bullet."

So if you are willing to stick with black powder speeds these narrow (for the bore) bullets will probably work fine but moving up to smokeless speeds will perhaps be a challenge.

I have shot the 180 and 200 grain 35 caliber bullet fine in a 1 in 24 twist barrel. However the 250 grain bullet will probably be lacking in that slow a twist. A barrel twist of 1 in 14 to 1 in 16 is probably (that word again because I'm not certain) needed for a heavy 35 caliber bullet.

Latest posts

Back