Questions Before The First Shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevadabill

Reaction score
I am new to ML. I purchased a barrel from Mossberg just to see if I like the sport.
Mossberg nos not recommend the use of plastic patches. I am unclear if I can shoot sabots as the e-mailed me back and said to use the slugs without the plastic.They say I can use conicals without any patches. The highest powder charge they recommend is 95 grains either Black Powder or Pyrodex. What about Triple7?
I contacted Hodgdon and they sent me a pamphlet which helps a little.
They recommend the use of fiber wads in all there loads. They also told me that it would be safe to shoot Power Belts as the plastic gas check is conected well.
There load limits are 100 grain either Triple 7 or Pyrodex. They say never exceed the manufacture's load recommendations and Mossberg says never exceed the Powder manufactures recommendations.
Your help with these issues would be deeply appreciated.

The plastic patch mentioned is a sabot exclusively for roundballs. I'm pretty sure most if not all manufacturers disallow it. It hasn't been made in a while as far as I know. You'll be fine using sabots with bullets. With a max of 95 gr of BP or Pyrodex you should limit yourself to 80 gr of loose FFG triple seven.

I agree with the boys. I went onto Mossberg's website to see the barrel and look at the manual for the barrel and was surprised that they do in fact say for round balls or conicals. I was surprised since the barrel twist rate was 1:26 :shock: which would be a great sabot shooter and that it uses 209 primers which are normally for larger powder charges. I'm not so sure it would be good for conicals or ball and patch since I think those are geared for 1:48 twist and lower for optimal performance. I was also surprised that the max load was 90 grains but that was due to using a 385 grain conical.

http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/Muzzleloader.pdf

When in doubt call them and explain the confusion, a lot could be the design of the barrel. Good luck and have fun and be safe. :D

After looking at their manual I'd say you'd be safe with 2 pyrodex or triple seven pellets and a 250 gr. saboted bullet. The heaviest load they list is a 410 gr conical with 90 gr of black powder or 385 with 90 gr of Pyrodex.

Latest posts

Back