Range report. Peach is SUCH a good girl!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did some casting yesterday. Broke in a Lyman .490 double cavity. Balls dropped at .491 and weighed 179 grains, +/- .5 grain.
I used my previous .015 pre lubed Ox Yoke patches, an Ox Yoke .54/.56 lubed wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. The range is 50 yards, with the factory open/ bead sights.
First 3 shots: 5/8ths inch
Second 3: 11/16ths inch
I was getting rather excited by these results, so of course I had to blow the last 3 by forgetting proper follow through. Like a bud's grandfather used to say, " Keep yer wooden head on the wooden stock!"
Great advice for shot gunners. Better advice for flintlock shooters! Could've cried...
But those first 2 groups, with my home cast balls, are VERY encouraging!
BTW, "Peach" is my 32 inch barrelled TC Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock. She is, by far and away, my most accurate and consistent flintlock. So glad I took a chance on her.

Great results! :) So, if I am understanding correctly, you used an oversized, lubed, felt over-powder wad, and then your PRB, correct? Thanks for sharing!

‘Poet

You are correct. Up one caliber so it can fold around the ball. Recovered patches show no sooting, save any residual from less than perfect swabbing.
Patch on left is ball side. Right is barrel side.
First shot patch, you can't tell the difference.

Attachments

• 20211029_122958.jpg
    20211029_122958.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
Did some casting yesterday. Broke in a Lyman .490 double cavity. Balls dropped at .491 and weighed 179 grains, +/- .5 grain.
I used my previous .015 pre lubed Ox Yoke patches, an Ox Yoke .54/.56 lubed wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. The range is 50 yards, with the factory open/ bead sights.
First 3 shots: 5/8ths inch
Second 3: 11/16ths inch
I was getting rather excited by these results, so of course I had to blow the last 3 by forgetting proper follow through. Like a bud's grandfather used to say, " Keep yer wooden head on the wooden stock!"
Great advice for shot gunners. Better advice for flintlock shooters! Could've cried...
But those first 2 groups, with my home cast balls, are VERY encouraging!
BTW, "Peach" is my 32 inch barrelled TC Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock. She is, by far and away, my most accurate and consistent flintlock. So glad I took a chance on her.
Just wondering, where do you source your lead? Is it 100% lead or a mix?? Thanks for your reply.

Back