Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean schwarzenbach

Reaction score
So I’ve a question, I own a 54 caliber Thomson center arms flintlock,I’ve a shoot on Sunday, paper targets (50 yards or less) so I purchased some Hornady ,535 balls an some ox yoke .50-.59 (15) thk patches, I’m going to use 3-f pyrodex, as I don’t wanna use what goex I’ve left, so my question is how many grains would you recommend? Thanks fer any advice

Thanx for the comeback, i was using 100 grains of 3f goex,with a 535 grain ( no excuass conical, with a 58 caliber wool ( wonder wads) Lyman’s peep sight ( bench) out to 100 yards , making 3” groups,

I don’t do a lot of shooting with it, basically, use fer our PA hunting seasons, I do go to range before seasons start

Gotta say, with the 535 an 100 grains, ya know ur shooting something! I like the kick! Becomes addicting!!

My 54 is most accurate with the .530 ball. The cotton patches I use are about .012-.014 or so thick.
Last time out, I used a 10 grain charge of 3f black under 60 grains of Triple 7 2f.
It's hard to say what you should use but I would suggest starting with about 60 to 70 grains volume of your Pyrodex P. I'd definitely recommend using real black powder for the prime.

Some chronographing i did in the past showed pyrodex P (3f ?) Was very comparable to goex 3f as was Pyrodex RS comparable to goex 2f. Measured in volume.

Pyrodex has a higher flash point than black powder so you may not get reliable ignition. Like deermanok stated you may want to put a little BP under your charge and use BP in the pan.
Personally I'd use BP period but I have easy access to it and have a few pounds in stock.

Latest posts

Back