Range Report!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroszkowski

Reaction score
Well, I hit the range today, and finally left quite please. now i am second guessing myself.

I was having a lot of trouble getting the gun sighted in, was shooting about 4" low no matter what. i finally got it shooting 1" high at 50 yards with the T/C Shockwaves consistently. I then tried the Hornady XTP's. Now, i was EXTREMELY pleased with the accuracy out of these bullets. my only problem is that they are XTP Mags. Now i shoot a TC Omega, two 50 grain pellets of 777, and a W209 primer. am i going to have enough velocity to get these puppies to expand and do some serious damage on deer, or not? Because i loved the way they shot, but i also want a bullet that will put down a deer quickly. What do you think?

Bucker-
It is the sabot that comes in the Hornady package, i did not buy these in bulk.

also, I aim for the shoulder with the muzzy, so with the mag i should be able to expect some serious internal damage correct?

I have never shot a deer with an XTP but I see no reason to doubt them. If they are placed in the right place, because of their design, they should expand and do a lot of damage. I am not sure you would need a shoulder hit to open them up. Even the Magnum brand. Still I am sure there are those that hunted with them that will give you a definite answer.

okay well i usually tend to aim at the shoulder if i can, because to me dropping a deer within sight is important. Thanks for the input Cayuga! i am starting to doubt my choice less and less as the day goes on. I shot again today and man do they shoot.

Any XTP users have and stories/pictures of deer shot that they would like to share?

Latest posts

Back