Range rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
I’m thinking about buying a nice range rod and wondered what people have and if they like them or not? Thanks in advance!

I’m thinking about buying a nice range rod and wondered what people have and if they like them or not? Thanks in advance!
Not sure you can find a better range rod setup than this.

https://www.sskfirearms.com/muzzleloader-range-rod-complete.html
https://www.sskfirearms.com/muzzleloader-range-rod-jag-bullet-starter-50-caliber.html
IMG-0863.jpg

Thanks sabotloader, I looked at those , I have to get a couple other things from ssk firearms, so I’ll probably just get one .

A range rod is a must for shooting at the range if you ask me. I would highly recommend using a muzzle protector.

I use the rod from muzzle-loaders.com and it does the job well, my only complaints are it's multi piece so it comes unscrewed while using and their is a slight misalignment in one of the joints that gets hung up on my muzzle protector.

A range rod is a must for shooting at the range if you ask me. I would highly recommend using a muzzle protector.

I use the rod from muzzle-loaders.com and it does the job well, my only complaints are it's multi piece so it comes unscrewed while using and their is a slight misalignment in one of the joints that gets hung up on my muzzle protector.
my CVA range rod will do that also . this is on my to get list in the pointy 45 flavor
https://www.spinjag.com/spinjag_original.php

where can they be gotten from Encore ?
A friend makes them. His name is Steve Chapman and he's on FB.
I have 3 rods myself. One is specific to cleaning only and is much longer so it goes through the barrel and my thread protector.
I have one that I use for swabbing between rounds, which is just long enough to reach the breech plug through the brake.

Any issues using the bore-guide/bore-protectors from the breech end of an inline? I just don't want to ruin the threads for the breech plug.

Any issues using the bore-guide/bore-protectors from the breech end of an inline? I just don't want to ruin the threads for the breech plug.
Not from my experience, I use a bore-guide for both breach and muzzle

Last edited:
The metal rod that I have in 50 caliber is a one-piece plastic coated rod made out of steel. If the plastic ever gets chipped, I plan to remove and will probably use electrical tape for a solid coding. It works extremely well so far. The brass ones I bought for 45 caliber is three-piece, but I loctited it to get together And it doesn't unscrew anymore. If you use the blue Loctite, it can be torn apart relatively easy With pliers, if needed. The red stuff takes heat.
Squint

Copy that -- more than once I've rotated the rod counterclockwise and unscrewed whatever end attachment I had in place -- that's always fun

Latest posts

Back