RANGE TODAY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
Took the Apex out this morning as I have made a few changes. I got a Leupold VX-R 30mm, 4-12x40 Firedot CDS scope from Carlos (the only place to buy) & I can't tell you how much I love this thing!! I had sighted it in with Barnes XPB 275 but found that the FTX .500/300 sabotless were shooting tighter groups. Anyway, I got my free dial from Leupold & it works perfectly.

My first shot at 100 yards from a clean cold barrel was high, the next 3 basically in the bull, just leaning to the right. Then I dialed the scope up to 200 & shot my first successful 3 shot 200 yard group that measured 1 1/8"!!! I just have to move it left & I'm good to go

I will be switching my other scopes out for these now. I've never seen anything like them!

null_zps524a638c.jpg

null_zpse47cd949.jpg

Greg, that is some great shooting you have done there buddy, and that 200 yrd group is great. The scope is great and with the new dial all you do dial it and shoot. I'm glad you like it. Again great shooting.
Carlos

cvilorio said:
Greg, that is some great shooting you have done there buddy, and that 200 yrd group is great. The scope is great and with the new dial all you do dial it and shoot. I'm glad you like it. Again great shooting.
Carlos
Thanks buddy! You're the best!! :)!!

Attta boy!!! Thats some excellent shooting Greg. When do you get to field test that load?

Thanks guys. That was my first successful 200 yard group & just being able to dial the scope to the 200 yard setting & hold dead on is really nice & apparently very helpful for me.

Jon....I can't test until the 15th of Nov :(and that is "IF" we have any deer!

Wow, that is some awesome shooting. I have a Bushnell DOA 250 and the lines work but they can be hard to see in low light. Sounds like your setup eliminates all of that. When will you be able to test the on game performance of the FTX. I'm leaning towards using the 325 grain in mid November

:D 

Carlos, you better watch your step buddy :pale: Greg is putting up some awesome shooting with that new scope of his :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   Great shootin' partner :!: :!: 

Ray..............:shooter:

hawgslayer said:

Carlos, you better watch your step buddy :pale: Greg is putting up some awesome shooting with that new scope of his :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   Great shootin' partner :!: :!: 

Thanks buddy! You just made me crack up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  I will NEVER hold a candle to Carlos' shooting! I think he could out shoot me with his eyes closed!!

With that said, I will say thanks for the compliment & I have to say that scope is just flat out incredible. The combination of gun & scope are far more capable than I will ever be but, I am sooooooo happy with it :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

biddler2 said:
Wow, that is some awesome shooting. I have a Bushnell DOA 250 and the lines work but they can be hard to see in low light. Sounds like your setup eliminates all of that. When will you be able to test the on game performance of the FTX. I'm leaning towards using the 325 grain in mid November
Thanks biddler. I can't test it til Nov 15th. That's when our gun season opens. Hopefully I'll find a big buck to test it on. At just under 2000 fps & being .500 diameter it should do a great job.

I have had a few of the hold over scopes & this just smokes every one of them. It's so much easier for me to hold the whole crosshair dead on & squeeze the trigger & the target proves that. I like it enough that I will slowly be changing over my other guns to these 30mm Firedot scopes.

I may be shooting the .458/325 in my Knight. I'm not sure yet on that one.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Nice avatar Greg :!: :!: :!: 

Ray............:shooter:

hawgslayer said:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Nice avatar Greg :!: :!: :!: 

Ray............:shooter:
I like it too & I was pretty sure you would as well :sunny:

You will have a one day head start on me, Indiana firearm season starts November 16. I'm sure close to 2000 foot pounds at 100 yards should be able to get the job done. I've just had a few bad experiences with some other bullets not transferring the energy.

hawgslayer said:

Yes Ray, he is giving a run for my money, and I'm glad he is, I would not have it any other way. Now you need to get your dial from Leupold, and do the same thing and there is no doubt in my mind you can :twisted:  Greg I also love you avatar.
Carlos

I was hoping this was the ticket for my .45 optima elite at long range (200-250). I have the 4-14 powderhorn with bdc, and working good so far, but nothing like this. I dont think I have time this season for load development with this gun, and a new scope, because I would have to move the 4-14 to the white.

You guys have too many good ideas, and I only have so much coin. I am going to a big gun show this weekend, and if I can't find a white in a .451, I am really going to be tempted by the vx2 6-18 cds.

Very impressive targets.

biddler2 said:
You will have a one day head start on me, Indiana firearm season starts November 16. I'm sure close to 2000 foot pounds at 100 yards should be able to get the job done. I've just had a few bad experiences with some other bullets not transferring the energy.
I'm not even sure if we'll have any deer after the last 2 years of EHD & they started finding dead deer in the water again about 3 weeks ago. That should just about wipe them out!

That load should have just about enough energy for anything, lol! Is that with the FTX 325?

So many things factor into bullet performance but, I have found if I use a well made bullet & try to match it to my hunting situation, they work pretty well. A lot of guys push pistol bullets way beyond their intended speeds & then there's the Powerbelt factor, caused by the same thing.
The right bullet for the right situation is great advice.

I hope you have a successful season. Stay in touch- Greg

cvilorio said:
hawgslayer said:

Yes Ray, he is giving a run for my money, and I'm glad he is, I would not have it any other way. Now you need to get your dial from Leupold, and do the same thing and there is no doubt in my mind you can :twisted:  Greg I also love you avatar.
Carlos
 The only reason I'm shooting this well is because of Carlos!! He has inspired me & always told me that I was capable & with the right equipment & advice from him, I now am :)

Getting the dial was so easy too. They papers say 4 weeks, the guy from Leupold said 2 weeks, & I had it in 1 week :):):)  Piece of cake to change & use!!! Better get yours Ray, you will love it!!!!

Latest posts

Back