Re: Shameless plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NimrodRx

Reaction score
Not to spam up the place, but....

If you're like me, you don't always think to look at the classifieds...

I'm selling one of my 45 Elites. Take a look if you're interested.

Wow!

This won't last long! I own three of these as well, ALL are tack drivers, and can shoot Sub MOA at 100yards with 200g ShockWaves, SST's and XTP's :shock: 8) Uses BH209 with no problems :wink:

Get it while you can!

Quit it you two, you just made me buy one of these this morning. Of course I had to get Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40 SABR to ride on it too.

Have you guys did much if any sabotless shooting with BH209? I think this will be the new direction of the market. I wonder how heavy a bullet you can push through the 1:30 twist and at what velocity? They need to make a 225-250 grain .400" bullet for the .45/.40 sabots.

120 grains? What is the max for the .45? This will be my first Knight .45, and my first Elite.

If you guys are getting 2400+ FPS and stabalizing the 200 grainer, can a heavier bullet be stabalized? It would have to be pushed hard IMO.

Guess I need to get up to speed on the .45's, thanks for any information.

Anyways, Merry Christmas to me! :wink:

Busta,

Welcome to the dark side ;)

I have not shot sabotless, but I know Kevinb has with the Parker BEs. Very good results too.

The 45 Elite is rated for a max charge of 150gr of T7. Western has zero info on max loads in a 45. However, they assured me that BH generates considerably less psi than an equal charge of T7.

I have pushed it up to 150gr of BH with the 195gr Barnes. No signs of psi problems, but the chrono scared the hell out of me. I was sneaking up on 2700 fps. Not to mention recoil was most unpleasant. Backed her back down to 120 gr for an honest 2450 fps and a relatively comfortable load to shoot at the bench.

Let me know how you like that Leupy. Pretty impressive looking scope. Thinking about one for my #1 smokeless conversion ;)

Nothing worth commenting on. 3-4 inches at 100 yards was about the best...

OK, so it sounds like a bonded 200 SW would take these .45 Elites into muzzleloading history... I suggest we all call or email Hornady and beg!
Actually if Hornady would comply, and with the advent of BH, this could reinvent the .45 muzzleloader.

How long are the Barnes 175's and 195's as compared to the 200 SST/Shockwaves? Anyone have all three, or any of them to measure?

I get .964" from base to tip on the 200gr .400" SST. .790" from base to bottom of the tip (copper). These are older with the sharp tip. The diameter of the bullet measures .399" near the ogive and .400 at the base. With the supplied tan sabot I get .455" near the ogive and .457 at the base of bullet.

I get .940" from base to tip on the 200gr .400" Shockwave. .765 from base to bottom of the tip (copper). These are newer with the more rounded tip.

I believe a 215-220 gn bonded .40 cal bullet would really do it. I mean, if youre going to have it redone anyway. The added weight would increase the BC and downrange energy even more- 250 yards+ could be the result. With the current .40 offerings, were counting on pistol bullets pushed at centerfire velocities.

I would like to see a 225-250 grain .400" bullet, but it's doubtful the the 1:30 twist would stabilize it. I guess it is stabilizing the 200 grain .400" bullet just about perfect per NimmrodRx and Lane.

A bonded 200 would be excellent. I have shot deer with the 200 grain Shockwaves out of my .50's with 100 grains BM'3, but haven't shot anything at 2400+ FPS woth one. I don't know the speed with 100 gr BM'3, but I would imagine it to be around 2000+/-. One was through the shoulders at 115 yards, stopped just under the hide on the off side. When I was cleaning up the bullet the jacket and core seperated very easily. There was no blood trail, deer traveled 50-60 yards and piled up in sight thankfully. Another example was the same load behind the shoulders at 60 yards, big holes going in and out, massive blood trails for 50-60 yards.

I would like to see a tougher bullet for sure, to see what these .45's can really do. I may experiment with some sabotless bullets also next summer.

I have some .375 Sierras on order that are 200 grains- Wayles found this one and at $18/50 bullets and paper patching , Ill try it. IF they work, like I think they will, we might just have to get the ogive tweaked for a higher BC for a dynamite muzzleloader projectile. Oh, that and get a sabot made for it!

.375 in the .45?

MQ
If you geter done before me be sure and let us know. Good or bad. Great minds must run in the same channels. I was thinking about how to swage the ogive a little to sharpen up that point as the BC ain't that great on the sierra. Who sells that stuff or do you have to make it yourself.
Wayles

I wanted it too....

Guys, IMHO, it is going to take a faster twist and a different bullet.

I hope I'm wrong. I usually am....

Hey guys,

I've got one more Buck tag to fill, got my eye on one big bruiser. I'm gonna sight back in for 120g of BH209 tomorrow, and see if I can connect with the 200g ShockWave thru both shoulders, Lord willing :) The area supports about a 50-80yard shooting distance.

Also got accepted for an antlerless hunt in a special hunting zone for mid Jan. Will also take the same load for that :wink:

We'll see how that bullet performs. I really think it is a lot tougher than we are giving it credit for.

I think I'm going to settle on 100 gains of BH and the 200 SW green sabot for my Elite... seems like maybe a good mix of speed and bullet performance.

Well, got her all sighted in with 120g BH and 200g Shockwave. Only took 3 shots. Left her dead nuts at 108yards :wink:
Checked it at 85yards also, and is still dead on. Did I mention it was 11* out with wind chill about -5* :shock:

Anyways, I got to shoot some more of the Berry's Bullets, 200g HP's and the 180g Flat Points. These are sweet shooting with the Harvester smooth Blue sabot and 50-100g of powder 8) And they are very inexpensive :wink:

Ready for hunting tomorrow :D

Good deal Lane, this should be interesting... I hoping for a behind the shoulder shot at about 80 yards to see how the bullet holds up... :wink:

bullets

I just got my buck back from the processor. I am shooting a 10mm (40 caliber) HP/XTP 200 grain w/ a 50/40 CR sabot. I use 110 grains of BH209. Anyhow he found the bullet, It went in low below the elbow and lodged in the far side rib. In 2 shots on the buck neither went threw it. He did say it had some huge holes and could not beleive when I told him the bullet. It stayed together and mushroomed perfectly. I am trying to uplaod the picture but hjaving no luck so far The mushroom is as wide as a dime and peeled back perfectly.

The XTP is a considerably "tougher" bullet (similar to their Interlock) than the SST. However, its BC is lacking for shots beyond 200 yards.

Re: bullets

Bucker said:
I just got my buck back from the processor. I am shooting a 10mm (40 caliber) HP/XTP 200 grain w/ a 50/40 CR sabot. I use 110 grains of BH209. Anyhow he found the bullet, It went in low below the elbow and lodged in the far side rib. In 2 shots on the buck neither went threw it. He did say it had some huge holes and could not beleive when I told him the bullet. It stayed together and mushroomed perfectly. I am trying to uplaod the picture but hjaving no luck so far The mushroom is as wide as a dime and peeled back perfectly.

How far away were you? (Duh :oops: --I just read about it on your other post--140yards and 50yards) Cause that similar shot placement with a ShockWave would have blown right thu, I'm thinking.
I do know the lead core of the 200g 10mm/40cal XTP is softer than the core of the Shockwave/SST. When testing the XTP at the sand pit, the core always separated from the jacket in the sand/cliff face. It's just a smooth cup with no cannalures or interlocking ribbing.
I've cut both bullets in half with a hacksaw, and the copper jacket of the SST/Shockwave seems a little bit thicker than the XTP.

So that's why I think the Shockwaves are pretty tough.

Back