Ready for elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Today, I did my final range day prior to elk hunting in 2 weeks. I did a fine tune of the scope on my Omega and worked on some long range shooting. I was able to keep a 4" group at 300 yards with 120 gr BH209 and a 300 gr Bonded SW. I was very happy with that! A guy next to me at the range could not believe I was shooting just over MOA at 300 yards with a ML.

I did try a few combinations in my Knight Disc Elite which will be my backup gun. I have found that with BH209, the Knight shoots a few bullets decently, not great, but acceptable. I did not tweak the loads any to see if it could be fine tuned for better accuracy though. I was shooting my standard 120 gr of BH209 and a 300 gr SST and it was ok. I also had 1.5" groups with the 340 gr Dead Center and 110 gr of BH209. I was finally able to get a decent group from the FPB. I managed to get a 1.5" group with 110 gr of BH209. All of these groups were at 100 yards.

Now if I can just find a bull to let the air out of.

Nice shooting AJ, what scope do you have on your Omega???

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
Nice shooting AJ, what scope do you have on your Omega???

Chocdog

I have a Kahles 3-10x50 with BDC reticle. The reticles line up close enough to allow me to hit out to 300 yards. They are dead on at 100/150/200/250/and about 2.5" low at 300 yards.

Kahles3-30x50.jpg

omegakahles.jpg

Good luck elk hunting. That is a nice looking setup you have there.

AJ,

With a ELK hunting rig like that, finding you Elk will be the hunt, hitting the Elk should be a no-brainer.

Chocdog

2weeks!!!!!
am on the same page as you-did my finale tweaking today also
not to 300 yards-- mans got to know his limits! but good groups and it goes where i point it
300 barnes mz with the hph24 sabots and 120/209
im gettin psykkked!

aj
weare going up into unit 6 east of cuba
we "axidently ' drew mz tags so we had to go get one
now are hooked , man these bps are fun to shoot!
specialy when you have some good "mentors"
here on this board that can help when you have eveen the dumbest
question

You got it! I have always wanted to wack a bull with a rifle but since I have seen the performance of this Omega, I may just stick with it. The tags are easier to draw and I can shoot out there a ways anyhow. Probably shoot them under 50 yards anyway. 8)

Good luck to you and I hope that your hunt be successful, safe, and enjoyable.

Back