Recommend a stock worker?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
I have a Green Mountain barrel, L&R lock (Flintlock) and all the hardware from a Renegade stock. I want to purchase a Renegade replacement stock from Pecatonia River.  They claim they are "95%" inlet.  I don't really have the time to do this soon and I can't afford to screw it up.  Does anyone know a reliable craftsman that can do this project with a reasonable cost? 

The closest stockmaker that I know of said he has never done a muzzleloader and knows nothing about them but to fit the lock, barrel and hardware on a finished stock would be $500.  I do not want to invest that much with someone that doesn't know muzzleloaders and especially flintlocks because as you know the vent hole alignment is a big deal.

The stock is around $300 so even if I throw another $500 at this project it still seems less than any production or custom build I can get elsewhere and the GM barrel and L&R lock are top quality. 

Any other thoughts?

Can you recommend someone that will take on this task?

i do that type of work. their stocks are good but most of the time the barrel inlets are too tight. as the stock shrinks after they do all the inlets. again if you have all the hardware, i can do that stock, frankly like nobody else. if you want to talk ill be back on line after a couple of days as i have a small surgery tomorrow. as to the wood. tiger stripe maple for looks. cherry for never ever cracking or warping. black walnut is ok but not the best. you might want to even consider curly ash. could beat a bear over the head with your gun made out of ash and not break it. ill even inlay your initials in silver wire. if you want to go the cost of the creme de le creme, get a wood blank from the oregon west coast in their bubble grain west coast maple. you will not believe the beauty of that wood. very tough grained and never ever would crack also. as for me a curly ash sounds good to me at this time. did a gun like that once and a guy in michigan has that gun now. i wont break your bank also.

Latest posts

Back