Recovery of 300 grain Hornady XTP (single cannilure)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage hunter

Reaction score
Shooting a Savage 10mlii 43.5 grains AA 5744. 300 grain XTP mmp sabot. 2000 fps. Ive been shooting this load a long time. Harvested many deer with it. I've only ever recovered 2. Hornady has recently changed the design from a double to a single cannilure. I was able to recover the slug from the first deer harvested with the single cannilure design. The shot was middle neck. Took out the vertebrae and lodged under the hide on the opposite side. The deer was large. 206 lbs dressed. The slug retained 220 grains and suffered major deformation. I'm going to continue using this bullet but I can't help but think it may have held up better with the original 2 cannilure design.

IMG_20211122_163313.jpg

The 300 grain XTP is a deer slayer. Ive killed many deer with it and also have only recovered 2 bullets. My loads were at much less velocity than yours. I killed many with loads of Pyrodex Select or FFG black powder of 90-110 grains. So my velocity was probably in the 1550-1650 range at the high end. The 2 I recovered were not as mangled as yours. But your bullet did very well IMO. Its still retained a lot of weight and the core and jacket are together. Thats pretty good for 2000 fps. Mine looked more classic mushroom and higher weight retention. But like I said , shot at much less velocity. I wish I could find them. The XTP bullet is a killer. I used both .44 and .45 cal and results were the same. Pass throughs with good exit wounds and dead deer. Even with shoulder hits . One bullet recovered was shot at 161 yards on a large buck. Hit him high in the shoulder. He went straight down. Bullet went through opposite shoulder and stopped under the hide. This was with 100 grains of Goex FFG. Velocity was probably maybe 1500fps maybe less. Ive used the 250 grain XTP the last few deer at a higher velocity and have not recovered one of those either out of about 5 deer. I dont really need anything else for the ranges I hunt.

Last edited:
I just looked at mine. All the .452 300XTP and .430 300 grain XTP I have stashed are of the double cannelure variety.
So its just the Mags? I never could get them to shoot as well as the regular XTP. They were close but not quite as good. I only bought 1 box to try when I couldnt find the standard XTPs.

Latest posts

Back