Recurve Bow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
My old boss used to have several recurves at the shop, and during off time we'd often open up a bay door and shoot at his target. Had a lot of fun, and it's got me thinking I'd like one for myself that was good enough to hunt with if I so chose to, though this would be mostly just for fun out back (I say that now…).

So what's a good quality yet inexpensive wood recurve? Laminated looks quite nice. I'm guessing I'd want at least a 50# draw.

'Good quality' and 'inexpensive' don't work in the same sentence when dealing with recurves. Even a factory-made Martin will surprise you on the cost. Custom bowyers get compensated pretty well for their product.

Martin - PSE - Fred Bear should be good starters to test the waters with.

I'd go with a 60" AMO recurve that gives you a 50 lb. pull for your particular draw length.   I've had several BEAR recurves, and like the Kodiak models best. BEAR bows were once inexpensive, but over the years their price has caught up with the competitors, but BEAR bows are still competitive in their price.

Might want to consider buying a good used recurve too...just make sure the limbs are straight.

Check out some classifieds on trad archery sites and Facebook. You can still buy a decent used bow worth the money that will serve you well.

I have 6 recurve bows, 5 were purchased used and one was bought new in 1998, paid $319.00 for it back then. It is a Martin Hatfield, no longer made. Keep your eyes open at yard sales and pawn shop you can find good used recurves still.

I have three Herters bows, two are 63 1/2" 17 degree recurves @ 50# and a 72" target bow @36#. They just hang on the wall as my arrow shooting days are long gone. I never had a problem with their bows. There should be some of these bows still around and may be worth a look. I bought all mine new in the 60 and early 70's. So many old farts like me may be parting with them.

John

John,
Why would you say that your arrow flinging days are over? A experienced guy like you must have a few more years at lest at the range.

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
John,
Why would you say that your arrow flinging days are over? A experienced guy like you must have a few more years at lest at the range.
Do I wish! Too many years of these Idaho "hills" took their toll. Keeping my feet under me with a hundred pounds of elk meat on my back is my fault, so ending up on my back, head and everything but my feet gives me an excuse for being weak and goofy. I won't talk about all the surgeries.

John

Latest posts

Back