Red dot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve used red dot sights on crossbows, handguns, shotguns, heavy kicking centerfire rifles, and muzzleloaders, and I’ve never had one fail me.

The only “problem” has been with finding my point of aim on a deer in low light.

Yes, I’ve used red dots on inlines off and on for years. Twenty years ago I used inexpensive Tasco and Bushnell’s. My preference these days is an old Trijicon reflex sight. Never had any red dots fail but I wouldn’t take chances by using a cheap optic of any kind. I find them great in low light. I did miss a chance at a monster buck one year because I did not have the sight turned on (trying to save power) and couldn’t find the button quick enough. So, if I were shopping for one, I’d get one with a very long battery life (or no batteries like my Trijicon).

I used them for Black Bear hunting and can say I will not use them again
you just can't beat the magnification of a good rifle scope especially some with the illuminated red dot for getting the exact spot you want to hit
mine was an Ultradot on a 500 Linebaugh rifle so recoil was substantial

I used them for Black Bear hunting and can say I will not use them again
you just can't beat the magnification of a good rifle scope especially some with the illuminated red dot for getting the exact spot you want to hit
mine was an Ultradot on a 500 Linebaugh rifle so recoil was substantial
Yeah, I should have noted that they aren’t my first choice for a muzzy (except a bp shotgun) unless state law prohibits > 1x optics. My vote is always for a good illuminated-dot scope, if legal.

Utah used to require scopes on muzzle loaders could not magnify the target, so our choices were 1x conventional scope or red dot or open /peep sights. I tried the 1x scopes first and hated them. Most make your target actually look smaller than it is and the cross hairs covered a whole deer at 100 yards. I eventually went with an Aimpoint red dot with 2 moa dot, and that was perfect. Shots to 200 + yards were no problem. They are great inside 50 yards or so I don’t think you can beat it really, but like others have said sometimes in the shadows at longer distances it’s hard to find your animal and be certain where your holding on them.

Utah used to require scopes on muzzle loaders could not magnify the target, so our choices were 1x conventional scope or red dot or open /peep sights. I tried the 1x scopes first and hated them. Most make your target actually look smaller than it is and the cross hairs covered a whole deer at 100 yards. I eventually went with an Aimpoint red dot with 2 moa dot, and that was perfect. Shots to 200 + yards were no problem. They are great inside 50 yards or so I don’t think you can beat it really, but like others have said sometimes in the shadows at longer distances it’s hard to find your animal and be certain where your holding on them.
Thank you. I know there isn’t any one size fits all. I have a red dot on my cross bow and love it. I wasn’t sure if it could handle muzzle loader recoil. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Started a Burris Fastfire 3 on my TK2000 this year turkey hunting. )And they can recoil pretty stiff if you want them to.) The red dot really helps dialing in the TSS load. Got my 26lb bird with it earlier this spring.

Missed a 9-10” in PA. My error. Aimed at head. Bird was 20yds. Pattern really tight at that range. Bird moved it’s darn head.
Red Dot good. My aiming point bad. lol
The Burris has been a dependable red dot on all of my firearms.
(I’ve been using Burris Fastfires since they first came out btw)

There are some VG red dots available you may know that have the “shake to wake” feature. I’ve used some Sigs. They work great.

On inline? NP

Yes, I’ve used red dots on inlines off and on for years. Twenty years ago I used inexpensive Tasco and Bushnell’s. My preference these days is an old Trijicon reflex sight. Never had any red dots fail but I wouldn’t take chances by using a cheap optic of any kind. I find them great in low light. I did miss a chance at a monster buck one year because I did not have the sight turned on (trying to save power) and couldn’t find the button quick enough. So, if I were shopping for one, I’d get one with a very long battery life (or no batteries like my Trijicon).
This. Batteries/losing the battery cover cost my buddy a nice bull once. My preference is to stay away on a ML, just something else to go wrong.

Two seasons and no issues. We are limited to 1x here so I went with an Sig Romeo 5. If you look close my cva PeepRib is still there and still sighted in. I carry the wrench to remove the red dot just in case but haven’t had issue to do it.

The Sig is motion activated, haven’t needed a battery yet, but there is no chance to leave it on. 40,000 hours is the supposed battery life but I will probably swap it out before next hunting season. it’s been on every time I shouldered it.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Two seasons and no issues. We are limited to 1x here so I went with an Sig Romeo 5. If you look close my cva PeepRib is still there and still sighted in. I carry the wrench to remove the red dot just in case but haven’t had issue to do it.

The Sig is motion activated, haven’t needed a battery yet, but there is no chance to leave it on. 40,000 hours is the supposed battery life but I will probably swap it out before next hunting season. it’s been on every time I shouldered it.
Do you have the peep sight mounted on the rail with the red dot or butted against the rail? I like the look of your setup.

Do you have the peep sight mounted on the rail with the red dot or butted against the rail? I like the look of your setup.
It is the eabco PeepRib. So the peep is on the very end right before the rail starts. You should be able to see what I mean in the picture below. I had to go with the lower front sight as well with mine.

Its a 2 moa dot and I typically sight in at 75 yds for the Sig Romeo5.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
I have used a mid range (cost) vortex 1 MOA 1X red dot on my AR for hogs with no issues. I couldn’t tell the difference in the size of the image vs no scope. Has a long lasting battery. Just always put in a new one before going on a hunt!

Latest posts

Back