reduced smokeless loads/powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oper2nyst

Reaction score
short and possibly dumb question: if using smokeless[5744] would it be possible to back off on the propellant charge to a point where one could use power belts effectively[ie accurately], even if it resulted in a velocity reduction back in to the non-smokeless range. have never been a fan of sabots from a loading[the physical act of] standpoint

Powerbelts and other conicals are prohibited with smokeless right in the 10ML-II manual. Not a good idea at all; it has been done though.

Like Randy sposted the owners manual says not to do it.
Also I have not personaly seen a powerbelt bullet that loads tight enough to shoot smokeless. I have read about it being done, however every one I have loaded in anything was as lose as using a .44 cal bullet in a .45 cal sabot. When you do that the bullet goes flying from the primer going off, but the powder does not ignite.

Have only found 1 good use for the powerbelts.

Makes a good rat load if no powder is used, the powerbelt has good terminal performance driven by the primer only. :poke:

:wall:

Latest posts

Back