Refinishing Barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl clayton

Reaction score
I have two TC barrels, one in Perc. .45 cal and one in Flint .54 caliber. I took them off new TCs I set up for line shooting with Green Mountain 1 in 66 barrels, and stored them. Bores are new, but exterior finish is marred. I want to sell them with the guns so that a buyer can convert back if they want to, but I need to refinish them. Which is best, blue or creakote?

Cerakote will give the barrels better protection from the elements.

I have two TC barrels, one in Perc. .45 cal and one in Flint .54 caliber. I took them off new TCs I set up for line shooting with Green Mountain 1 in 66 barrels, and stored them. Bores are new, but exterior finish is marred. I want to sell them with the guns so that a buyer can convert back if they want to, but I need to refinish them. Which is best, blue or creakote?
As a buyer, I would prefer having them blued back to their original condition.

Bill

I would cerakote. Any refinishing will cause a loss on value. Cerakote is just plain more durable and likely less expensive.

I rust blue. Being as every part of the surface that can rust is already rusted, it's virtually impervious to the elements. It gives a deep blue satin finish that I really like.

On guns like those I would blue. Cerakoted wouldn't look right in my opinion.

Cerakoted maybe right for these barrels since they would be the ones probably used for hunting. The Green Mountain barrels currently on the guns are in good blue condition and don't need refinishing, so any buyer good simply take their choice as to what to use. Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back