Reloader 7 and H322 in the RemBrux 700ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My supply of H4198 was getting low and the local store has been out for a couple of months so I decided to load up some different powders that have been on my shelf for a while.

After doing some research and looking at pressure traces, I decided on 65 grains of RL7 and 70 grains of H322 paired with a Hornady .452 250 grain XTP Full Form sized with a knurl before sizing. All shots at 100yds.

3 shots, 65 grains RL7, 250gr XTP, no wad. These 3 loaded very hard, kinda left me scratching my head as to why, most likely I got some springback since the bullets were sized the day before, I'll have to play with the sizing in the future. Shot #2 was the odd ball.
6GdnXui.jpg

I swabbed the bore with 2 dry patches to remove the fouling so the barrel was in the same condition as before.

1 shot, 70 grains H322, 250 grain XTP, no wad. This bullet loaded extremely hard and after getting it down, I decided I wasn't doing that again so only one shot. I'll play with the bullet sizing and bring the chronograph out next time out, I'm very curious about the velocity's on these two powders compared to my duplex hunting load.
my5RpRj.jpg

I believe H4198 is a fantastic powder (most SML front stuffers seem to be using it), yet
it is a bit over-hyped. There are other great powders out there, especially some of those
used in duplex loadings. At least one guy on another board uses H322 exclusively with
exceptional accuracy.

I finished shooting this target with the 70 grains of H322, I sized the bullets for a looser fit, too loose, I'll revisit this load with better fitting bullets.
qEjkcJ3.jpg

Definitely some potential there. Especially the H322.

I admit to being an H4198 only guy, partly because it works so well and partly because I've gotten mixed responses on what else is safe for my Encore.

Latest posts

Back