Reloading .223

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've loaded the 60 gr. V-Max but not the 60 gr. Partition. Pretty much all of my .223 shooting is done at coyotes, so no need for the Partitions for them.

I have used Hodgdon's "Benchmark" powder with the Hornady 60 gr. soft point and the 60 gr V-max. Both bullets grouped under 1 inch for 5 shots which served my needs.

Chocdog

If you going after hogs I would seriously look at the Barnes 53 gr TSX or TTSX bullet.

Chocdog

I'd try the Speer 70gr semi-pt bullet. I believe this bullet is a HOT-COR and will penetrate well and hold together well. Especially at your stated hunting parameters. I know those pointy bullet sure look cooler and meaner, but a pointed bullet is not necessary under 200yds. We used this bullet a lot for deer damage culling with great success out to 140yds. The sectional density is that of an 85gr 6mm bullet. H335 was the powder we used.

Try the Barnes 62 gr Triple Shock. It will stabilize in a 1 in 12" barrel.

I've had good success getting outstanding groups with the 70gr semi-pointed speer and Varget .Performance on game is yet to be evaluated.
FYI : 1-9 twist barrel.

I always see folks mention that 62 grain is near the top for the average 1/9" barrel. Don't know how exact that is but I'd lean that you are fine. There are the barrel maker sites that give optimum twist rates for bullet weights.

For close range hogs & deer a 60 grn partition would be among the best bullets available, for the 223 bore. My buddy shot a 125 lb hog years back with a 223. It was one shot & hardly went anywhere. I forget the bullet, along the lines of a 55 grn soft point I think.

Back