single stage reload speed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never loaded straight wall pistol ammo... but am interested in load info for the Ruger 44. Mine's a 63 vintage and needs feeding... have primed cases and some 210gr JSPs.... but only have Tite Group and 5744 as possible powders, though I think I've seen load data for 1680 (which I also have)
What model Ruger do you have? I shoot a Ruger Redhawk 44 Rem Mag with a 300 gr cast bullet and Win 296 or H110 (the same powder). I'll bring loaded cartridges and components to Tom's if you wanna try 'em.

What model Ruger do you have? I shoot a Ruger Redhawk 44 Rem Mag with a 300 gr cast bullet and Win 296 or H110 (the same powder). I'll bring loaded cartridges and components to Tom's if you wanna try 'em.
Mine is a 1963 made carbine. Predecessor to the 10/22, so it looks just like a basic carbine but it is tube fed and has that nice big 44 caliber hole in the barrel ;)

No lead boolits - they foul the gas port. And nothing over 240gr, and they can be picky about gas port pressure etc

I now reload all my calibers (.380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, 30/06, 350 Legend, 450 BM, .50 BEO, 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x54 R, .300 BLK, 5.56, .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, 7.65 X 53 Argentine, 6.5 Carcano, 11mm GRAS and probably a few more forgot). I generally try not to reload 9mm because the cost of the primers. Primers cost the same. One primer one boom I would rather use them on rifle I do however reload all .380 and .45)

I do it all on a single stage rock chucker. I use it amongst other things such as 3 scales (2 beam, 1 digital), primer pocket swagers, brass trimmer, calipers, The FART Franklyn arsenal rotary tumbler etc.. A lot of equipment is needed to produce good custom ammo properly In my opinion.

Snapbang a well known member here initially helped me in that journey. With his help I was able to get the primers I needed to reload my first round. It was for my 30/06. 150 grain fmj bt propelled by h380.

I think of it this way if I purchase a rifle or pistol I also must factor in the cost of a new set of dies and see how available the brass is and the cost of that. Finally what powders are used in that cartridge. The cross caliber use of powders is important to me because of cost.

I find it enjoyable customizing cartridges for each rifle. It is very rewarding; I know my ammo is carefully checked good ammo to use. Not to mention the cost saving on some but not all calibers. The 11m Gras is sold for about 7 dollars a cartridge I believe. Time well spent if you ask me.

I agree with what already has been said. I love to roll my own. I got a system and usually can bang'em out pretty quick. The 357 Max goes kinda quick. The 280AI is alittle more involved. Usually, I don't worry about the time it takes but more about that it's right. I like the versatility that gives (tailoring loads).

I now reload all my calibers (.380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, 30/06, 350 Legend, 450 BM, .50 BEO, 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x54 R, .300 BLK, 5.56, .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, 7.65 X 53 Argentine, 6.5 Carcano, 11mm GRAS and probably a few more forgot). I generally try not to reload 9mm because the cost of the primers. Primers cost the same. One primer one boom I would rather use them on rifle I do however reload all .380 and .45)

I do it all on a single stage rock chucker. I use it amongst other things such as 3 scales (2 beam, 1 digital), primer pocket swagers, brass trimmer, calipers, The FART Franklyn arsenal rotary tumbler etc.. A lot of equipment is needed to produce good custom ammo properly In my opinion.

Snapbang a well known member here initially helped me in that journey. With his help I was able to get the primers I needed to reload my first round. It was for my 30/06. 150 grain fmj bt propelled by h380.

I think of it this way if I purchase a rifle or pistol I also must factor in the cost of a new set of dies and see how available the brass is and the cost of that. Finally what powders are used in that cartridge. The cross caliber use of powders is important to me because of cost.

I find it enjoyable customizing cartridges for each rifle. It is very rewarding; I know my ammo is carefully checked good ammo to use. Not to mention the cost saving on some but not all calibers. The 11m Gras is sold for about 7 dollars a cartridge I believe. Time well spent if you ask me.
I agree.... only thing I don't load is my carry ammo but do load my practice ammo. (45ACP)

Reloading is a fun hobby in its own right. I have a 25 year old single stage RCBS press. I reload everything except hunting ammunition. I'm retired, so the time required to prep and load is not really a factor.

Well I just turned 70 on August and I'm still using the Pacific Deluxe press I got for Christmas when I was 12 years old. I still have yhe powder thrower and scale from the kit but now I use an RCBS thrower and 505 scale.

I started reloading ammo with my brother when he was about 15 and I was 9. That was 58 years ago. By age 12 I was loading all of my own rifle and shotgun ammo, pretty much completely unsupervised. But as hard as I tried, I never blew myself up.

For me, the big advantages are that you can tailor ammo to your rifle/shooting or hunting, and you can load for calibers for which ammo is hard to find, or for which factory ammo is unsatisfactory. I've always loaded for my .257 Roberts, and now I have a really sweet little CZ model 527 in .221 Remington Fireball. Both are great calibers, but you pretty much have to reload to realize their potential. I just acquired a Henry .45-70 lever gun, and will be reloading for it, too. I also reload for my Browning 9mm Parabellum, and for my Ruger SP101 .357 magnum.

During the 80's I did lots of skeet shooting for a year or two - as much as a case of shells every week - so I reloaded shotshells to save money. Also loaded some hunting ammo, much of which I still have. Steel shot is tough to reload, though, and because most of my bird hunting is for waterfowl, I haven't reloaded shotshells for many years.

Factory ammo for calibers like .308 Winchester is much better than it used to be, so I've been shooting Nosler ammo in mine. 165 gr. Ballistic Tip for practice and sighting in, 165 gr. Accubond for hunting. Still using the single-stage RCBS Rock Chucker and RCBS powder scale that my dad gave me for Christmas in 1980.

Yes, you can save some money by reloading, but finding the time to reload has always been a challenge for me.

I started reloading ammo with my brother when he was about 15 and I was 9. That was 58 years ago. By age 12 I was loading all of my own rifle and shotgun ammo, pretty much completely unsupervised. But as hard as I tried, I never blew myself up.

For me, the big advantages are that you can tailor ammo to your rifle/shooting or hunting, and you can load for calibers for which ammo is hard to find, or for which factory ammo is unsatisfactory. I've always loaded for my .257 Roberts, and now I have a really sweet little CZ model 527 in .221 Remington Fireball. Both are great calibers, but you pretty much have to reload to realize their potential. I just acquired a Henry .45-70 lever gun, and will be reloading for it, too. I also reload for my Browning 9mm Parabellum, and for my Ruger SP101 .357 magnum.

During the 80's I did lots of skeet shooting for a year or two - as much as a case of shells every week - so I reloaded shotshells to save money. Also loaded some hunting ammo, much of which I still have. Steel shot is tough to reload, though, and because most of my bird hunting is for waterfowl, I haven't reloaded shotshells for many years.

Factory ammo for calibers like .308 Winchester is much better than it used to be, so I've been shooting Nosler ammo in mine. 165 gr. Ballistic Tip for practice and sighting in, 165 gr. Accubond for hunting. Still using the single-stage RCBS Rock Chucker and RCBS powder scale that my dad gave me for Christmas in 1980.

Yes, you can save some money by reloading, but finding the time to reload has always been a challenge for me.
Old guys are all alike, I'm still using a CH single stage press I bought in 1959, brand new for $12.00. Had to finally change the ram to take different size base ammo.
Squint

Latest posts

Back