single stage reload speed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
For those wondering about time investment for reloading ...

Just spent 36 minutes crankin out 20 rounds of 223

10 minutes was digging thru a bag of mixed 1x fired brass for 20 PMC cases

Line em up in a tray and spay with lube

Deprime and resize

7 minutes of fiddling with powder measure and scale to get desired charge weight

Charge cases and seat bullet

I normally have 100+ cases resized and primed waiting for those last two steps Very easy and quick to batch process 200 cases at a time, about an hour total to get to the ready to load stage

For the 45c/rnd commerciall ball costs Im getting MOA or better capable ammo

Def werth it

Ya, the investment sucks but being able to tailor loads precisely to your guns makes it very worthwhile. If you're selling what you load, then your time becomes a factor, but doing this for yourself the time becomes a moot issue unless loading a couple hundred rounds takes like four or more hours. I weigh all my BH and smokeless powder charges and never really look at how much time it takes me. It's more a matter of reassurance.

I bought an RCBS Junior Press combo set in 1979 and it is still going strong. It’s a hobby and a relaxer so not concerned with speed but accuracy and safety. Just look how much cheaper reloading 45 Colt or 30-06 is compared to the insane current ammo prices. 😱

Last edited:
It is cheaper but agreed its customizing the rounds for the gun. I used my 243 win to make life short or miserable for groundhogs. Light loads of 70 grain TNTs. To the extent I needed the barrel replaced 13 years ago. The same gun loaded with 100 grain Nosler partitions killed a lot of deer in Wyoming. I dont think I shot a commercially loaded bullet in 35 years. With exception of my 44 Ruger carbine but that is now remedied. It is an investment but also a relaxing craft. You need a bench and place to put the equipment and supplies. Once set up you will never go back.

It is cheaper but agreed its customizing the rounds for the gun. I used my 243 win to make life short or miserable for groundhogs. Light loads of 70 grain TNTs. To the extent I needed the barrel replaced 13 years ago. The same gun loaded with 100 grain Nosler partitions killed a lot of deer in Wyoming. I dont think I shot a commercially loaded bullet in 35 years. With exception of my 44 Ruger carbine but that is now remedied. It is an investment but also a relaxing craft. You need a bench and place to put the equipment and supplies. Once set up you will never go back.
Never loaded straight wall pistol ammo... but am interested in load info for the Ruger 44. Mine's a 63 vintage and needs feeding... have primed cases and some 210gr JSPs.... but only have Tite Group and 5744 as possible powders, though I think I've seen load data for 1680 (which I also have)

To me it’s a hobby unto itself and the time is irrelevant. The cost savings is really only a factor if you shoot uncommon or obsolete stuff, you aren’t saving much loading 5.56 or 9mm ammo. You can load premium ammo for most anything way cheaper than you can buy it.
I come from a long line of handloaders.
IMG_4966.jpeg

Never loaded straight wall pistol ammo... but am interested in load info for the Ruger 44.
The only straight walls I do are 44 mag and 357 mag. Its a bit trickier but I only shoot those a few times a year so 100 rounds lasts quit a while.

I used h110 for the Ruger 44 reloads. I use a max load of H110 with a 240 grain to insure the cycling action. I think I have the Hornady XTPs that seem to be a popular choice here. They have worked well for me on deer. Very accurate out of my gun. If your having accuracy problems with your 44 Ruger send me a PM.

The only straight walls I do are 44 mag and 357 mag. Its a bit trickier but I only shoot those a few times a year so 100 rounds lasts quit a while.

I used h110 for the Ruger 44 reloads. I use a max load of H110 with a 240 grain to insure the cycling action. I think I have the Hornady XTPs that seem to be a popular choice here. They have worked well for me on deer. Very accurate out of my gun. If your having accuracy problems with your 44 Ruger send me a PM.

Last I shot it was with some handloads a buddy of mine did (I trust him, very experienced) but he went on the lighter end of a 4227 charge. Had cycling issues, so he gave me the other 94 rounds and a whackinator style bullet puller. So... I've got dies, primed brass, bullets... but not a great selection of powder. And I know the little carbines are picky in regards to gas pressure and pressure curve in general and need basically max loads.

I had cycling issues with mine and ended up talking to a fellow on the east coast somewhere. He said 99% of the problems with a Ruger 44 cycling is dirt. He said to soak the action in some kind of cleaner for a day or two. He said there is nothing in there for the cleaner to hurt. Take it out of the cleaner and use compressed air to blow it out. Then spray it down with WD40 and use compressed air to blow it out again. It worked for me.

Yep, max loads for the 44 carbine. Need a crimp on the bullet also. I think 240 grains or heavier would also help. If your near the thumb of Michigan I can help.

EDIT I used some kind of paint brush cleaner. He said the cleaner wasnt important because it cant hurt anything in the trigger group anyway. Sorry I cant remember what it was.

Last edited:
Last I shot it was with some handloads a buddy of mine did (I trust him, very experienced) but he went on the lighter end of a 4227 charge. Had cycling issues, so he gave me the other 94 rounds and a whackinator style bullet puller. So... I've got dies, primed brass, bullets... but not a great selection of powder. And I know the little carbines are picky in regards to gas pressure and pressure curve in general and need basically max loads.
Get yourself a Forster Bullet Puller, makes it a lot easier than whacking them loose. It’s ok when doing a couple but a bullet puller is lots better.
For safety reasons I suggest to stay mid to under max load data.

I look at it as a labor of love. Sure is nice after you have reloaded a batch and knowing your not dependent on what loads you can find in a store.

Get yourself a Forster Bullet Puller, makes it a lot easier than whacking them loose. It’s ok when doing a couple but a bullet puller is lots better.
For safety reasons I suggest to stay mid to under max load data.
It is my goal to never have to pull a bullet again :)

That said, I got about 40 rounds of 223 (2+moa groupings) and maybe 100 300bo that I'd like to recover... but I may get into 300bo again, and I can always shoot the 223 in a buddy's machine gun to get 'em empty quicker than I can in a bolt gun, and accuracy won't matter much :)

Just a note I sonic clean and then polish my brass in a tumbler with treated walnut shells. The brass is so shiny and smooth. You don't get that with factory loads. I also clean and uniform the primer pocket for a better fit. You don't get that with factory ammo either. The extra steps are well worth it to me.

Last edited:
Reloading is something I've long wanted to get into. 5.56 and 9mm are my boring primary rds. Is it possible to load 20ga sabots rds for the deer gun? Those are 5 bucks a shot and impossible to find the rds I like. What would be the pieces I would need to get started? All I have is a scale and micrometer.

Reloading is something I've long wanted to get into. 5.56 and 9mm are my boring primary rds. Is it possible to load 20ga sabots rds for the deer gun? Those are 5 bucks a shot and impossible to find the rds I like. What would be the pieces I would need to get started? All I have is a scale and micrometer.
Pretty certain with some digging around you can find components for 20 gauge slugs or wads for using pistol bullets.

Ballistic Products Inc. likely has everything you need, for the shotshell end of things.

Here’s a manual: Slug Loading Manual, 9th edition

Here’s a page full of options to get you daydreaming:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slug-Components/products/71/

I bought an RCBS Junior Press combo set in 1979 and it is still going strong. It’s a hobby and a relaxer so not concerned with speed but accuracy and safety. Just look how much cheaper reloading 45 Colt or 30-06 is compared to the insane current ammo prices. 😱
Or the simple fact you rollin your own equals no shortage/no back order/no lines waiting to hear ain't seen those since bidens pandemic !!!/Ed

Started back in 83 and never looked back, through all these years I’ve stocked more components than 1 could ever use. Use to watch my dad and uncle is how I got the bug. I normally shoot roughy 4k rounds over the summer and always tinkering with loads. One thing for sure once you start handloading you will definitely shoot more.

Latest posts

Back