Reloading the 6.5 BRM

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Information on loading this cartridge is kinda scant. Before my new breech loader arrived, i scoured the internet for information, and did find some help. Powder is very hard to come by at the moment, so i can only use powders that i have on hand. My loading started out using RL15, which seemed common, and i found published data using this powder.

My first load was 33g of RL15, 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip, CCI 200 primer. Then i added a grain for a 34g load. This load is good for 2600fps out of my rifle, and is accurate. This load did not fill the case. Being unable to purchase any more of this powder, i quit using it, so to save what was left for hunting if needed.

My next load was 35g of Vihtavuori N540 with the same bullet and primer. This load was good for 2592 fps. Then i tried 36g, but that seemed too hot, so i reduced to 35.5g. This load does not fill the case. 35.5g N540 produced 2685 fps, was accurate, but about half the time i had extraction issues. It seemed i should look for a better powder.

Next i tried 37g of H4350, 120g Ballistic Tip, and CCI 200 primer. This seemed to be a much cooler load, and extraction was perfect. Speed was 2625 fps. Then i tried 37.5 g H4350, which produces 2650 fps at 10'. The fired cases readily extract using this load. This load fills the cases to the bottom of the neck, which seems about perfect.

P1030526.JPG

The target was shot yesterday morning from prone at 210 yard, using the 37.5g H4350 load. The taped holes were shot the day before yesterday, and the windage adjusted. This probably will be the load used for hunting this coming fall. Leupold is now engraving a cds dial for this load, and a 100 yard zero.

Powder Valley had some Vihtavuori N150 in stock about a month ago, and i ordered 3#. It is scheduled to arrive here today, after a long wait. It is what will be tried next.

These loads should not be thought of in the same way as loads provided in loading manuals. Myself, i have only been reloading this cartridge for a bit over a month, and it cannot be said i know what i am doing, thus anyone utilizing this information should start low, and use caution.

Good records i do not keep, so i am not sure, but going by how many boxes of bullets i have used, it seems i have loaded these 50 brass about 5 or 6 times. They are starting to split at the base. So far, i have tossed about 8 split brass. My thought is they were formed too short by the supplier, and when fired, they stretch to fit the chamber of the rifle.

I've always just fire formed from 30-30 brass, the brass that I'm using now is 6 fired. I've had really good luck with 4831 pushing a 140 horn. My chrono was destroyed in a fire over a year ago so no idea of the fps. Fire forming with 35 4350 is a one hole deal, but I'm sure it's not a long range thing

May not realy be of any help, but on another site, a gentleman who does the barrel stubbing always talks about using 307 brass due to its thicker web area, the one time we had a BRM we used new 38-55 brass and just followed the loads given with the barrel

What steps were taken to change the 38-55 brass into a 6.5 caliber? Seems like it would take several steps with several dies, and then the fire form.

Back