Rem 700 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I have been playing with the idea of making my 700 ML better. It works ok and shoots MOA but I want it to perform better. Right now I can only shoot musket caps. I have the 209 conversion kit but it will not set off the primers. It has a custom barrel by Virgin Valley Guns.

The 700 ML as we all know handles as well as its centerfire big brother and has about any style of stock available you can think of, but it has a lot of blow back. I am thinking about going custom and modifying the bolt to add a 209 holder like the Savage 10 ML II. Changing the breechplug to hold a 209 that is headspaced to the bolt, another similarity to the Savage 10 ML II.

This will take some fabrication work but should make a good gun great. It will require modifying the bolt, maybe grafting a Savage 10 ML II boltface to the Rem 700 bolt, a modified striker, and a custom breechplug.

I still intend to use just BP substitutes in it, mainly BH209. Any thoughts?

AJ, do you have the Remington conversion or the Canadian made Cabela's conversion? The Cabela's conversion works quite well.

Very expensive project by comparison, but a sealed ignition would be a big plus.

AJ

Here is what you might be looking for...

http://www.prbullet.com/700.htm

I would not mind having one...

Mod700ML.jpg

Underclocked,
I have the Remington conversion. I picked it up at Sportsman's a few weeks ago as they had them on clearance. It's basically useless for me now.

Sabotloader,
Sort of, as Cecil's version uses a centerfire Rem 700 action with a 6mm Rem primer holder. The Rem 700 ML does not have locking lugs. Just a smooth bolt.

I will have to poke around town to find a good machinest. I would have done the work myself but I don't have access to the machines since I moved to the desert.

rem 700ml

AJ:
I have afreind that has a Rem 700ML. He Used the Rem. 209 conversion and had a lot of trouble with it, especially removing the breach plug. He then bought the Cabela;s conversion kit & is very happy with it now.
The original rifle shot very well, but he just wanted to take advantage of being able to use the BH209 powder.

Redbird2

AJ

Yep! I have two of them and I do really like them... If you get the cabelas conversion - there is a lot less blow back involved... Then I also make a copper weather shield for the bolt that protects the scope...

Wshouds2.jpg

Latest posts

Back