Remington 700 ML ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Com 45acp

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a stainless Remington 700 ML that is used and in nice shape at local shop. My question is how can I tell if it is a ML or an MLS muzzle loader. Are all the stainless ones MLS?
Thanks for the help.

Com 45acp said:
I'm thinking of buying a stainless Remington 700 ML that is used and in nice shape at local shop. My question is how can I tell if it is a ML or an MLS muzzle loader. Are all the stainless ones MLS?
Thanks for the help.

Good question. I thought the "S" indicated stainless, but I just looked at my Stainless Remington 700 Muzzle loader, and it is marked, "700ML".

I have never owned one or even shot one, but I know several guys that have them. The way I always understood it was the original 700 ML had a 24" barrel and max charges were 120 grains (I think only 90 grains for the .45 caliber?) of Black Powder or Pyrodex for the 50 caliber. The 700 MLS (Magnum) had a 26" barrel and a max charge of 150 grains Black Powder or Pyrodex.

Surely don't take that answer as final, but it might get you either headed in the right direction, or more confused. :?

Com 45acp

Both of my Remington ML-700's, a 24" and a 26" are stainless and both are stamped the same on the barrel. Remington did not make any 700's in a Knickle barrel. They were either stainless of blued. Originally the 24" were limited to 110 grains but only because Remington believed that was all that could be successfully burned from the short barrel.

my 700ML was purchased in '96 (first year for it) and in the owner's manual it lists 120gr. as a max load with everything from a 410gr. conical to 250gr. sabot. the 26" barrel version, which Remington called the Magnum, appeared in '02. without any changes to the rifle in both the 24" and 26" the max load was 150 grs. from then on. it was nothing but a marketing ploy to try to keep up with the new "magnum" muzzleloaders from competitors that hit the market. although they are a pain to clean they are great shooters and super strong rifles as the steels are the same as the centerfire 700's. '04 was the final year of the 700ML and Remington claimed it became too expensive to make and sales had fallen off significantly since 2000.

the mls has a 26in barrel mine is a 45cal and it came with all 3 nipples i paid $250 tax included for a new in the box i've only had it for 6 or 7 months couldn't shoot because i was laid up with a busted pelvis got out a week or so ago and it shot ok

I too was looking/thinking about buying a Rem 700ml with either the 24" or 26" barrel .Are a Ruger 77/50.My Question is,Has any one that has one tried with one of these with the new BH209 powder with there's and if so how did it shoot with it?
For me to ever buy any other inline,they will have to be able to use the BH209 powder are it will be a no go for me

I would take very little of that report as a fair representation of the 700ML's performance. Mine shot great, had a superb trigger, handled just like the 700 cf rifles I have owned, and was one of the easiest inlines I've encountered so far as finding scope mounting hardware that works well for me.

But - it was a pia to clean (the bolt disassembly tool would have helped, I'm sure).

yep ,i to agree with you Underclocked but not because of the gun,but because if RW said it then it would mean very little with me
Underclocked said:
I would take very little of that report as a fair representation of the 700ML's performance. Mine shot great, had a superb trigger, handled just like the 700 cf rifles I have owned, and was one of the easiest inlines I've encountered so far as finding scope mounting hardware that works well for me.

But - it was a pia to clean (the bolt disassembly tool would have helped, I'm sure).

had one it was a good shooter ...but ..the blow-back was terrible it scorched the bottom of my scope ..also too many parts had to be removed for cleaning ..sold it and got a T/C encore [break open ] been there done it and not going back ...

Underclocked said:

But if it was done by RW, it must have been 100% dead on... right? :lol:

Underclocked said:

Ditto! My 700ML shoots great. I shoot it with the weather shield in place and 209 primers, and don't have a problem with burning the scope, etc. Keeping the bolt clean is an important aspect not emphesised enough.

It has the wonderful 700 trigger that can easily be adjusted. As far as cleaning, it's not any worse that my Hawkens (at least with the accessories that came with it).

While it may not be the best inline available, the 700ML is far from the worst.

I have two of the Remington's both of them in stainless. I have had outstanding performance from them. Do not think I could ever part with them, even though I do not use them that much anymore, although I did shoot a really nice elk with the 26" last year.

Blowback with a Remington 209 conversion is a problem, blowback with a Cabelas' conversion is not near the problem.

Bolt cleaning is a bit time consuming - but not really any worse the cleaning the firing pin assembly on the Omega... With a model 700 bolt tool it is really simplified.

The last comment that no one has touched on is the factory hammer spring in the original 24" Remington's were to weak and gave up strength in time. But replacement ML hammer springs are available up to 32#'s and that really solves the problem if you are getting misfires with the #11 caps...

Excellent rifle - excellent Douglas barrel from the same stainless they used on the regular model 700 centerfires....

sabotloader said:
The last comment that no one has touched on is the factory hammer spring in the original 24" Remington's were to weak and gave up strength in time. But replacement ML hammer springs are available up to 32#'s and that really solves the problem if you are getting misfires with the #11 caps...

Does the Cabela's version contain a stronger spring? Do you know how much the factory one is?

tnhagies

Does the Cabela's version contain a stronger spring? Do you know how much the factory one is?

Original factory spring was 26#

The best spring comes from here....

http://gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/1ndex_menu2NOF.html

then look up Remington

The spring in the Cabelas 209 conversion kit is also a heavier spring, but I am not sure that is a Wolff BLITZSCHNELL? precision speed-lock rifle striker springs spring - they are really resilient(spelling)

Latest posts

Back